camera noob looking to buy a digicam

DirtyD86

banned
i am in the market for a basic digital camera. i don't really have any specific preferences, it just has to be small, durable, and get decent battery life. if they sell cameras that have internal rechargeable batteries that would be even better. i want to stay in the $100-$150 dollar range...

i have been using a kodak easyshare so anything i buy will be a major, major improvement.

Irishwhistle

Hmm... what Kodak Easyshare have you been using?

btw, Punk, that Olympus MAY be okay, but I've heard some bad things about Olympus (both their PAS models and their SLRs.) I'd recommend a Canon... other good brands are Nikon and Fuji.

The best camera I know of for the money is the Fuji S700, but then that isn't exactly compact... :p

Probably your best bet for a compact cam is a Canon... this one looks pretty good: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=183&modelid=16336#ModelTechSpecsAct

scooter

banned
I would recommend a P550 Nikon..

It's a hair more than your 100-150 range at 180 but its'

10mp, 2.5" screen, loads of features for a compact.

it will have a magnesium body, and the quality is superb.

I have a p5000 and while im a pro slr user...and canon fanboi..the nikon was a gift and its a wicked little point and shoot.

Irishwhistle

I would recommend a P550 Nikon..

It's a hair more than your 100-150 range at 180 but its'

10mp, 2.5" screen, loads of features for a compact.

it will have a magnesium body, and the quality is superb.

I have a p5000 and while im a pro slr user...and canon fanboi..the nikon was a gift and its a wicked little point and shoot.

P550? What's that? Do you mean the P5000? Man! That looks awesome for a PAS!

Worst thing about it is the zoom, but you'll get that on any compact camera (including the one I linked to)

scooter

banned
P550? What's that? Do you mean the P5000? Man! That looks awesome for a PAS!

Worst thing about it is the zoom, but you'll get that on any compact camera (including the one I linked to)

They might have different model numbers--I am in Canada.

It's called the P5000 that I have but I saw what was nearly identical on u.s. site called p550.

In any event they are sweet cams for little guys.

Zoom is not as bad as you'd think...in fact its more than average..

Punk

Staff member
Hmm... what Kodak Easyshare have you been using?

btw, Punk, that Olympus MAY be okay, but I've heard some bad things about Olympus (both their PAS models and their SLRs.) I'd recommend a Canon... other good brands are Nikon and Fuji.

I've had an Olympus for many years, it is my very first D-Camera and had no problem whatsoever.

Is DirtyD86 still looking for D-Camera?

TechRookie

hey! i have an easyshare v610, its a great little camera, 10x optical zoom, really good battery life, and built in bluetooth! it can go up to 7 megapixel, but im not that much of a photographer, so i only use it at the 5 megapixal setting, for when i use it at parties and stuff!