Can a Bestec ATX-300 PSU power up a Zotac GT 710 graphics card in a standard Pentium E6800 system?

CP30126

Hello. I would like to upgrade my HP Pavilion p6820 computer by replacing its stock Bestec ATX-250-12Z 250W power supply with a more powerful one, as it is not powerful enough to power the Zotac GT 710 graphics card that I installed. The power supplies from the Bestec ATX-300 series are very enticing, however I do not know if they would actually be powerful enough to power a Zotac GT 710 graphics card, as that's a really modern, really powerful, power-hungry card.

So far I have found three different models on ebay.
ATX-300-12E
ATX-300-12EB3
ATX-300-12Z

By looking at their label and comparing the specifications to the ones of my ATX-250-12Z, do you think that any of these power supplies could work? The 12E looks like it's the least-powerful. The 12EB3 is odd because compared to the other ones it has two 12V lines. Is the 12Z the best choice?

Sometimes, I run three hard drives in this system. Other than that, I run a terrible USB diskette drive (aren't they all terrible?), and sometimes a capture device and added I/O ports with a parallel, serial or firewire card. Other than the hard drives, I doubt that these things draw much current.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can buy any ATX power supply. I would recommend buying a real name brand like Antec, Coolermaster, or similar.

CP30126

I would recommend buying a real name brand like Antec, Coolermaster, or similar.
Bestec is a real brand.
Unless they sell other power supplies than the ones they put on their respective sites, their offerings don't suit me. My case is designed to harbour a power supply that takes the air from the back. Plus with these Bestecs, the connections they provide are appropriate for my computer, and I'm sure that the number, and length of the cables are also appropriate, as I already have one.

I wanted to get a new one, but wasn't able to find one. So I got an used ATX-300-12Z. I'm happy to report that so far, despite the conservative increase in power compared to the stock one, it works with my system. It's pretty noisy. I'll get used to its singing. It has a pretty green light like the stock one that it replaces.