Can a laptop stay on 4K even when an HD monitor is plugged into the HDMI splitter?

markfleener

Ultimately, I don't need to be able to use multiple screens at the same time, but I might as well be able to, cause I do want to be able to toggle what screen I am using without having to reset the display resolution or laptop (one screen is 4K 60Hz, the other two are HD), need the laptop to stay on 4K... I have an Alienware 15R4 laptop with Windows10 Home, which shows 4K 3840x2160 as a display option as long as I had shut down and booted up the laptop with the external 4K TV plugged into the HDMI splitter left on, yeah, that was fun, figuring that out, the next time I boot up the laptop, it comes up 4K 3840x2160, even if the external 4K TV is turned off (had no idea the computer could do that lol), but once I try to plug in an external HD monitor into the HDMI splitter (not even turning it on), it reverts the laptop down to HD, the 4K option completely disappears until I reset the laptop again, leaving the 4K screen turned on. I even tried one of them $70 splitters that supposedly lets one use multiple monitors of various resolutions, but it kept reverting down to HD (making me reboot the laptop to get the 4K back). At this point, I think I need a new laptop, more so than a $300 HDMI splitter, cause those $300 splitter guys don't like my long HDMI cable runs (they don't seem to understand such things should be possible, even with 10 years experience).

Last edited: