Can I install XP from old comp?

BarePaw

I currently have a Dell Dimension Desktop that came with Windows ME. I bought the upgrade to Windows XP about a year ago. Now I'm building a new computer. The version of Windows ME says for use on Dells only. I tried to install it on another computer before but couldn't. Can I use the XP upgrade CD and a boot disk to install XP on the new computer, or am I stuck buying a whole new version of XP?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Richman said:
Dell I guess.
wtf

im not sure if this would work, but you could look on ebay for windows 95 and upgrade that. someone will need to say if it works because im not sure, as its such an old OS

ripken2004

so ur saying that u have a windows me comp and u wna install the windows xp upcrade cd on it? if so then u can do this, u gotta do it wehn the comp 1st starts up and boot from the cd, do not install it through windows b/c the upgrade cd is just gay, then u will most likely have a dual boot system afterwards and then just deltet the windows me

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
no, they has 2 computers. 1 is a dell that has/had ME already on it. they want to put xp on the 2nd machine, but only have a upgrade cd

r53s

My opinion is if you upgrade from me, you'll inherit the ghosts and bugs of it...
so...go shopping for that cd...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My opinion is if you upgrade from me, you'll inherit the ghosts and bugs of it...
Um ... you boot off the Upgrade CD and just pop the ME CD in for a version check ... nothing to inherit per se

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
yeah window me really REALLY stinks...I have the dell comp too with window ME don't even remind me of those days...*dies* you should just buy a copy of like window 98 for something for cheap and then install the xp upgrade to that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Except he's got Windows ME already and there's no inheriting involved so theres no point wasting more money than needed