can i safely glue my barebones to the wall

applezauce

just threw away my disgusting case and i want to glue the mobo and all the components to the basement wall.
it's cold and concrete and i think it would help keep everything cool while keeping the now caseless pc safely away from static-y felines.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
36813917.jpg

OK though, I'll bite... Why not just get a new cheap case and do it properly?

aldan

why not chisel into the concrete and recess the rig into the wall?then add clear plexi and some mood lighting.snicker.

strollin

Assuming you are serious about doing this, why would you want to glue it to the wall? Glue is typically a permanent mounting solution. Why not mount it in close proximity using short standoffs and anchor screws designed to attach to concrete?

I've never owned a house with a basement but aren't basement walls typically damp? I would be concerned that the dampness of the wall would create a high resistance short between points on the mobo if it was attached directly to the wall.

applezauce

Assuming you are serious about doing this, why would you want to glue it to the wall? Glue is typically a permanent mounting solution. Why not mount it in close proximity using short standoffs and anchor screws designed to attach to concrete?

I've never owned a house with a basement but aren't basement walls typically damp? I would be concerned that the dampness of the wall would create a high resistance short between points on the mobo if it was attached directly to the wall.

thanks for the concise answer, this basement isn't a particularly damp one, i.e. no damper than the rest of the house by way of a dehumidifier and a heater. The walls are quite cool however.

To what has to be the total surprise of everyone here, a lot of my interest comes from the novelty of a computer glued to a wall, but i think some detatchable mounting bits glued to the wall would do well in terms of satisfying my goal while being vaguely reasonable.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Well, it seems you're serious; strange, but to each their own. You specifically keep mentioning the wall being cool. The wall's temperature has nothing to do with keeping the system cool - it's not going to act as a heatsink or anything. Cases are designed to allow a certain airflow pattern - typically cooler air front intake, warmer air rear exhaust. It's not the HS or fans that ultimately keep a system cool, it's the (smooth) airflow through the case as a whole.

I'm actually fairly curious as to how something like what you want to try would turn out. If you do it, take lots of pictures. Also, keep in mind that it will attract attention. Make sure it's firmly secured because you know people are going to poke and prod at it when they're over your house. Any never ever ever underestimate the curiosity or craftiness of felines.

ramirez

+
If you are going to go through the process of mounting in the basement to a cement wall, why not build yourself a small plexiglass case to mount and house the components. Would be a good DIY project for you, if you really put some thought to it.