can i uninstall SP2?

ASPn00b

i bought a laptop that came preinstalled with XP home SP2. i have xp professional that i sorta need to use IIS. it's not listed in add/remove (not even as an update). is there any way to uninstall it or do i have to format the drive and start all over? thanx in advance.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well if the machine has windows home and your putting on pro then Y would uninstalling sp2 matter? or is your windows pro an update? If not then reformate and instal pro.

Ace1627

Using Add/Remove Programs to Uninstall SP2
You can uninstall SP2 by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

To uninstall SP2 by using Add/Remove Programs:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add/Remove Programs, click Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, and then click Change/Remove.

Follow the instructions that appear.

Using the Uninstall Program to Uninstall SP2
You can uninstall SP2 by running the uninstall program from the command prompt.

To uninstall SP2:

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type cd %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\, and then press ENTER.

Type spuninst.exe, and then press ENTER.

To close the Command Prompt window, type exit.

Hope this helps.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Using Add/Remove Programs to Uninstall SP2
You can uninstall SP2 by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

yes but he said he could not do that because it was not there ;-)....

Double-click Add/Remove Programs, click Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, and then click Change/Remove.

but it's windows xp home that he's using ;-)..

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Also I dont know Y he needs to take it off in the first place when he's replaceing the OS with pro.

Dunno, makes no sense to me.

Now also because he bought this thing with it installed he prob. also got recovery disks rather then and actual instal of windows not that it matters :) but i'd imaging that when you instal useing the recovery disks it's set up to instal it and you wont find it in add/remove programs.. Unless it's in Add/Remove programs Windows Components. but in the end it doesn't really matter because he's going to be wiping out Windows entirely anyhow therefore destroying the O so evil service pack2 and beatting it into submission! :)..

Last edited: