Can someone convince me that a mac is the better laptop for me?

Kill Bill

How much better is it because that's a huge price difference of about $500. It's got a little bit better processor and better graphics but what other features would I be missing out on if I buy the 2.4ghz model?
Multi touch. Worse HD while you can get 50GB more at same speed,and people reported heat issues.

Are you referring to apple using the 800mhz because on the site it says 667mhz ram on the mbp and I did confirm that it's 2X1GB so I'd have to get all new ram.

No the MBP uses 800MHz on the 2008 ones and on the MB and MBA they use 667MHz

cohen

IS that a pro or a macbook??

here is the image for others

appleram.jpg

Solph

I have had a Mac Mini and a PC. As far as I am concerned they look better physically. I prefer to use PC's because applications etc. With Mac you are still quite restricted. Macs are over priced - and are a monopoly in a way. For the same price you can an all singing and all dancing PC that also looks very good. If you see the Gateway One PC - it's all seems to be moving in that direction.

Kill Bill

I have had a Mac Mini and a PC. As far as I am concerned they look better physically. I prefer to use PC's because applications etc. With Mac you are still quite restricted. Macs are over priced - and are a monopoly in a way. For the same price you can an all singing and all dancing PC that also looks very good. If you see the Gateway One PC - it's all seems to be moving in that direction.

True. But remember boot camp or vm ware fusion. And the mac is a lot more stable than windows XP/vista. Also gateway sucks.

Wait, you void the warranty if your new ram ruins the mac? Alienware let's you replace the ram, and it is included in the warranty.

tlarkin

VIP Member
All of every warranty covers you putting in your own parts, however if you screw up the machine yourself while upgrading it, then it is considered abuse, no matter what company it is.

Also, all Mac laptops have multi touch mouse pads.

concorde

You'll want a UNIX foundation - MacOS X is built on a solid BSD Unix foundation. Viruses will very likely be erased from your vocab if you use Mac or Linux. So will lockups, instability and crashes. It's not worth buying a Vista PC as it is ssssssslllllllllllllloooooooooooww (on even Core 2's and those Dell XPSes for crying out loud) and crashes all the time.

Jhow

I am looking forward to the WWDC which is tomorrow. They may announce the next macbook pro.

Jhow

nope, nothing on the macbooks but there was snow leopard. everyone knew the 3g iphone was coming