Can someone help me fix my computer

Pietzki

So could this be fixed with some sort of RAM upgrade or something or is my computer pretty well toast?

unfortunately I don't think adding ram will make much of a difference, since your pc is only using about half of your installed ram anyway. If it is in fact your hard drive that's the problem, then buying a new one of those should fix the problem (shouldn't be too expensive either, depending on the type of hard drive you're gonna buy). But to know for sure which piece of hardware is causing this problem you'd probably have to take it to a pc shop.

Try some of these free hard drive error checking tools and let us know what the result is:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

And you may also want to check if there's anything wrong with your ram:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Soaring Quail

Well I let the error checking tool run over night and when I came back it wasn't running too differently, I don't know if it was suppose report on something or not. The ram checking thing just seems to go on about floppy disks and my lack of them.

So I guess I'll take your advice and get around to getting a new hard drive. When getting a new one what exactly are they doing? Replace the C: drive? Swapping some core part of my computer?

By the way I'm also using a external hard drive sometimes but it's runs the same whether it's plugged in or not.

Pietzki

one last thing you can try (i doubt this is the problem, but it can't hurt): windows' system file checker. open a command prompt (start>run then type cmd) and type

sfc /scannow (make sure to include the space after sfc)

You will probably be asked to insert your windows cd, so have that at hand. This will check all your system files and make sure they haven't been changed or corrupted or are missing.

And if that doesn't work, it's time to make a trip to your local pc repair shop and get them to check it out. If it is in fact your hard drive, then yes, it would mean replacing your C drive. But to find out which piece of hardware is causing the problems they'd have to have a look at your pc first - so don't just go out and buy a new one..