can;t build up home network

skyworld

hi,
i hope to build a home network, but it doesn't work. I have two desktops,each installed win2000 with sp4. In desktop1, two net card are installed. one connected to ADSL, the other connects to the second desktop. there is only one net card installed in the second PC. an interesting thing is that when i connect these two PCs, i found the link LED lights, but i can't access the other computer. i checks its property, it shows that there are packets sent, but with 0 packets received. the same property happed to the second computer. I am sure the twisted line connecting these PCs is ok and all PCs has been set to correct IP address, such as 192.168.1.10/sub 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.11/sub 255.255.255.0.
well, i then build up a wireless network without AP, i.e. Ad hoc. the indicator shows that the network is ok, but i found it is still only sent packets but without any packet received.
I have tested the first PC with a laptop which i took from office and the network is ok, but if i change the laptop to the second PC, the network stopped.
well, i also suspect if there is something wrong with the second PC. I have checked the event log of the second PC and found some words on oakley, 3DES and so on. I don't know what is it, but it seems some kind of "firewall" works. I don't know what it is.
I also suspect if there is virus. I have formated the HD and re-installed win2000, but the network doesn't work.
is it possible that there is any hardware wrong so that the network doesn't work? i am sure the NIC is ok, i don't know which part of hardware wrong will make network stop.
struggling...

dave597

VIP Member
anyways, i think you should check that the workgroup is the same. Also, configure the network card directly from system, device manager, and change the ip address there, also changing it in tcpip the bit there. theres lots of tiny things you have to do, just keep experiementing..

anthonyrstanley

Okay Okay i have a solution: well I only read some of it buttttt stilll if you mensioned this i am sorry i didn't read all your stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K in networking you need an odd number of crosses in the 1.2.3.6<-wires in the cable you are required to make or purchase a crossover cable for eithernet. IT is simple buttt costly to make and purchase i would suggest maken buttttt you have to buy crimperz and cables and RJ45s soooo just buy it if you silly... buttt to make a crossover cable. it is White Orange, Orange, White Green, Blue, White Blue, Green, White Brown, Brown. And on the other end or side, White Green, Green, White Orange, Blue, White Blue, Orange, White Brown, Brown. Killer i make cable for the USAF I am the man LOL!!!!!

: So sence the gov. Gives me about $1 and hour please send your dollar in an E-mail to Me. So my time is well spent :D

Last edited: