Cannot boot my computer

konkfunk

I use Windows xp and wanted to use Linux (ubuntu) as well so i partitioned my computer in order to do this. Problem was that linux did not install properlly because i had burnt the installation disk to fast and now it can't read certain files. So now when i turn on my computer tries to load from the hard drive but either says it failed or it says 'okay' but nothing else happens.

I deleted all the partitions that ubuntu created but that made no difference

Does anyone know how to get Windows Xp to boot again? Can you force windows to run?

Last edited:

Phatxam

The only way I can think of is. If you have your XP disk, put it on and let it boot from there. Then in the options delete all your partitions and start and new one. Then install windows again. :)

narafa

I agree with Phatxam, you will spend a lot of time trying to figure out what did Linux do to mess up your XP boot, and you might get it or not, so it will be time consuming unless you are lucky, just backup everything you want, and proceed with a new Windows XP installation.

dave597

VIP Member
erm, get ur xp disk and boot up in it.

1) install windows into another folder on your drive without partitioning. then you will have two windows installs, one broken, one working.
or
2) select the repair option to try to repair the xp install. this should work.

Scrat

If you have a 2nd PC you should be able to slave the drive then copy the info off it you need.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
i don't think u can install two windows xp on one partition, can you?

Of course ya can :). If that where the case then windows could not be installed on any hard drive period. What I mean by this is that a single hd with no partitions is basically just "one large partition". You can of course duel boot windows XP installs on 2 different partitions the same way you would with any other Operating system.

Sebouh

well what i meant is that can you install 2 windows on the same partition (same partition on same hd i.e. C: and not D: where both are on the same hd)?