Cannot disable laptop keyboard

remluf

I have an HP laptop and bought an external keyboard and mouse, and disabled the built in keyboard and touchpad mouse & buttons (due to pets).
All was well until I installed Windows version 2004. It thought it was being helpful by reinstalling the correct drivers for the laptop keybord & mouse which became active again. So I did what I did before which is to replace the keyboard driver with one from Toshiba and restarted the laptop, but the original driver was re-installed. I uninstalled the driver. Windows reinstalled it. I even tried a sugesstion I read to change a setting in Gpedit which didn't work either. So I have gone back to build 1903 until I find a solution. Any ideas what else could be tried?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It shouldn't be reenabling them. Are you sure you are going into device manager and right clicking on the device and click on disable? Everytime I disable something windows won't enable it until you do it yourself.

remluf

Yes I was doing that. I tried it repeatedly and it re-enabled it on restart. When I replaced the driver with one which would cause it not to work, it reinstalled the correct driver after a restart. Going back to build 1903 was the only way to stop it. As I type this, the reason I need the laptop keyboard disconnected is here!

Attachments

• P1450417.JPG
    P1450417.JPG
    790.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think what you are doing is uninstalling it instead of disabling it, which is 2 different things. If you disable it, it's not gonna work.

remluf

I tried both methods and when I restarted the PC, it reinstalled the correct driver or re-enabled it. This only happens with build 2004, with 1903 it is ok. Try it if you have a laptop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then the only other thing you can do is unhook the cable to the touchpad and keyboard by taking the laptop apart.