can't activate remember password feature in a vaio W2K

leo037

Hello,

I made a windows 2000 restore instalation on a sony vaio pcg-xg700k.
Everything works fine, but I can't make work the remember password feature on any aplication and have to retype the password every time, even that is set to remember it.

I chek the policies and everything is normal.
I update the windows to SP 4, update the IE.
Also tried with sony tech support, but they didn't have the answer.

Finally I put Norton system works with a password manager, its not a solution its just a patch, at least it save me from typing all the time.

Does anyone know with this is happening?
I think it may be a spetial security feature from the w2k for sony.

Thank you,

Leo

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the same account as before with the same priveliges... and do yoou have the encryption settings off?

leo037

I'm using the administrator account with full rights.
All setings are default, I think its encriping but I couldn't find that key.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You wont be able to find the key (for the record its kept in c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM but you wont be able to do much with it). There was a workaround for transferring privileges but i cant remember it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is my initial thought. If the files are encryupted on the fly and you copy them somwhere else or you save them, reformat and try to access them again you will have problems because the PWD files arent registered to your computer :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Which files? what i said above was that IF you copied them you'd STILL have problems.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you meant the files in the SAM folder you wont be able to do anythig with them unless you goto the recovery console i think because they are system protected files :)