Can't boot windows 10

Gazatim83

Hi I can't boot windows 10 on my pc. I can't boot in safe mode either. PC says there is an issue and restarts. I can access command prompts. I have a USB with Windows Media Creation Tool on it. When I use this I can't use the upgrade option it wanted me to wipe my hard drives but I would like to retain my files.
I am using an OEM version of windows and I have no other PC in my house. Please help. Thank you in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest you take it to computer repair shop and have them look at it. Could be anywhere from a failing hard drive or issue booting from a windows update. If its a bad hard drive then it's still possible to back up your data by using a second pc or usb adapter on a second pc to transfer files over. Then you would have to install a new drive, reinstall windows then transfer your data back over.

DavidG

Boot off the Windows USB
  • On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next.
  • Select Repair your computer (the bottom left option of the screen, not install)
  • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can try startup repair
If that fails and you haven't a second PC then as @johnb35 says take it to a local repair shop.

Last edited: