Can't Decide between Freesync and G-sync

gillmanjr

Thats one example dude and it has nothing to do with this particular product. I've read dozens of reviews on these monitors specifically (written by real people, not being paid to make a video or write a review). I have no bias toward or against any manufacturer, I went into this objectively looking for the best gaming ultrawide I could find for the money. After months I narrowed it down to the Alienware and the Acer, both of which seem to perform about the same - WHEN THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS. However, there are nightmare stories about Acer's quality control, warranty and customer support (monitors that don't even achieve 120 Hz, flicker, people being without their monitors for weeks and then getting them back with the same problem, pixels that die and Acer's warranty doesn't cover it which is not true for Dell, ETC, ETC, ETC). I found no such stories about Dell's product or warranty, not in regards to this monitor.

If you think I should save the $200 and buy the Acer, fine. Honestly, I am still struggling to decide because I do like the Acer.

_Kyle_

I'd go with the Acer.

I usually go with LG or Samsung when it comes to displays, but Acer is pretty good.

gillmanjr

LG would probably be my first choice for a gaming ultrawide, just in terms of manufacturer. But unfortunately they don't have a 1440p G-Sync ultrawide at the moment.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah if the Acer is cheaper I'd do it too. I didn't look at the actual product but the blanket statement that all Alienware is overpriced is misleading and you gotta look at more than just that. My primary 1440p is an Acer and I love it.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Fyi Nvidia is now supporting freesync, but many freesync monitors are suffering from visual anomalies when being used with gtx cards, many have also now be certified by Nvidia and work perfectly.

gillmanjr

I pulled the trigger on the Acer last night. Funny enough my wife was telling me to just spend the extra money and get the Alienware because she knew I'd be slightly happier with it, plus she likes the way it looks more lol. But I couldn't justify spending an extra $200. If I end up getting a lemon of a monitor I might regret this decision, but I couldn't ignore the sale any longer and I didn't want Newegg to run out of stock. At $699 it is the cheapest price that one of these has EVER been.

Within a week I should have my new RTX 2080 hooked up to a new 1440p, 120 Hz, G-Sync ultrawide. I am very curious to see how many frames I actually get with my i5 4670k. I know for sure that the 2080 is enough to drive this monitor balls out with most games on ultra settings so I want to see how big of a bottleneck my CPU is.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All the monitors I've bought except one have been Acers, never a problem with them. I have an Asus now but when I upgrade to a 32" 144hz freesync, there is an Acer that I was looking at.

Darren

Staff member
Acer in general make good products these days. Especially monitors. Should be happy with it.

gillmanjr

All the monitors I've bought except one have been Acers, never a problem with them. I have an Asus now but when I upgrade to a 32" 144hz freesync, there is an Acer that I was looking at.

You sure you want to go to a 32"? I've heard the 32" monitors aren't a good size, too big vertically and they thin out the pixel density too much, even with 1440p. You should think about ultrawide.

gillmanjr

I now have my Acer Predator X34p setup and running with my new RTX 2080. I only just got it setup about an hour ago and I just finished calibrating it and checking out Far Cry 5 benchmarks. I am getting a max of 80 FPS in Far Cry with settings on Ultra. I don't think it'll go much higher with my i5 4670k but thats not too bad. Still going to upgrade though.

Here are my initial impressions of this monitor and of ultrawide in general, for those of you thinking about switching to ultrawide...

1. The monitor is larger than I expected. Youtube review videos of 34" ultrawides do not accurately capture how large they really are. Even shut off it is a very impressive monitor.
2. I have a headache from it. I am thinking it is probably similar to VR and just requires some getting used to because it takes up so much more of your field of view. But right now, it is really straining my eyes. The calibration relieved it but I can still feel the strain.
3. It is definitely WAY more immersive. In gaming it basically changes the entire experience (in a good way) but for general use such as browsing the internet I consider this a negative point. Even now as I type this I have to look to the left because the display is so wide. Again, going to take some getting used to, but I have a feeling that regular 16:10 monitors are probably better for general office use and internet browsing. If you need this much screen real estate just for office use I would recommend getting two 16:10 monitors. There is no way I would want this monitor on my office desk.
4. As for this particular Acer model, I'm very happy with it. I really like it...a lot. And the panel I got seems to be perfect, no dead pixels and very little back light bleed.