Can't find a way to get those fans to CHILL

jo86

Hi. I've got this ASUS laptop that has been going crazy with the fans over the past few months.
I tried:
- Armoury Crate and ROG Gaming Center for fan control. Doesn't work. The changes won't affect the fans or won't be saved after clicking 'Apply'.
- Fan Control, the free opensource software. The fans just don't appear on that program as they do in the demo videos.
- various other programs like MSI Afterburner (fan control area greyed out).

Also:
- I can't access the fan control part of the BIOS (can't figure out how to), but I'd like to control the fans through Windows anyways.
- I've physically cleaned the fans as best I could. No obvious dust appearing anymore.

Here's a picture of the back of the laptop. The part circled in yellow is the part that heats up in a hurry after just a couple of minutes of the PC being turned on and not doing anything.
IMG_3651.jpg

Please, how can I get those fans to chill the heck out. They're just brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Especially the one, for some reason... Thank you !

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Is there a BIOS update available? If so there may be new thermal points integrated into it to help with fan cooling.

beers

Staff member
I mean it makes sense for that area to heat up since that's directly over the CPU and GPU.

You say you cleaned the fans, what about the heatsink?

Also depending on the stock thermal mateiral you might be able to repaste it, although if it's a newer liquid metal TIM solution then I'd try other items first.

jo86

Is there a BIOS update available? If so there may be new thermal points integrated into it to help with fan cooling.
Tried the update. Can't get the BIOS on my computer, that I see on YouTube tutorials for Asus PC's where there's the Fan control. Mine is just plain.

jo86

I mean it makes sense for that area to heat up since that's directly over the CPU and GPU.

You say you cleaned the fans, what about the heatsink?

Also depending on the stock thermal mateiral you might be able to repaste it, although if it's a newer liquid metal TIM solution then I'd try other items first.
I mean that area heats up in a hurry. Immediately after startup, super hot. But I just can't get the fans to chill. I opened it up again today, cleaned up again, the fans are fine. No dust and I couldn't find any small wire or anything in its way that would make it vibrate. It's just the fans are on 100%, all the time. Can't find a way to make them relent.