CAN'T install Windows XP Home OEM

Greg J.

VIP Member
I've set and saved the BIOS to boot from the DVD-ROM drive (boot first order) (only disc drive) to install Windows XP Home Edition. No matter what combination I use of reseting, letting the POST go, or entering BIOS setup, I can't get the DVD-ROM drive to stay on and use the disc (LED and disc drive starts yet stops. If I don't have any discs in the drive, It will eventually get to the DOS "No Operating System Detected" screen. If I use the disc, the screen will just go to a DOS-like black screen with the blinking underscore in the upperleft of the screen. It will just be stuck there. Anybody know how I can install this OEM so I can ACTULLY use Windows XP for 30 days and then BUY an activation number to make it permanent? :mad: :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Check that the drive isnt faulty
2. Check the disc isnt scratched to crap
3. Try setting your BIOS to failsafes (you'll have to reset the DVDROM as primary boot device)

Eklipze3k

Also make sure all the cables are connected to the back of the drive securely, I had the same problem once and it was just down to a slightly loose IDE cable :D

Greg J.

VIP Member
OH It's a burnt CD-R (Imation brand) OMG

Looks like the chubby employee in the computer shop was just trying to please me. He gave me a burnt copy of Windows XP Home (its the disc I've been talking about). I called the shop and the Owner answered and said for me to bring the disc back on Thursday to buy an official disc and activation number. Turns out, since the disc isn't official, it won't work (fat boy was just tryin' to be nice, :p . Now the president (owner) is wondering to himself over the phone *****(why TF did he give that away !! We aren't supposed to GIVE any software way. OMG, LOL. Could that be why it won't boot and work? Is it cuz it's a burnt bootleg OEM? :D :confused:

Eklipze3k

I would say that might explain it, illegit software is pretty much guaranteed not to work the way it's meant to - and from what I hear XP Home is especially bad for it (Pro for some reason doesn't mind being copied? *shrug*)

Greg J.

VIP Member
I'll go in on Thursday when they get real XP CD's

That way, I can purchase an official Windows XP Home Edition CD and Official Activation number. I'll keep you posted in the future to see if it'll work ! :) Thanks guys.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Could that be why it won't boot and work? Is it cuz it's a burnt bootleg OEM?

and from what I hear XP Home is especially bad for it (Pro for some reason doesn't mind being copied? *shrug*)
Nothin particularly different about the two that would make one more difficult than the other.... probably just a moron who copied the disc didnt make a proper image and removed the boot functionality :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I feel bad for the poor kid. He was just trying to help out. That could end up in his job
Indeed but there's ethics -- if you're gonna play on the dark-side there are only two rules: (1) dont screw up and (2) dont get caught :p

Greg J.

VIP Member
I feel kinda bad for telling on him (by mistake)

The disc is a useless piece of crud for booting (You can't boot it, there's no proper boot image). You can use it like a restore CD however (re-installing Windows XP WHILE in Windows. LOL. I feel kinda sad and guilty for ACIDENTALLY digging up truth for the business. I had my suspicions at first and refused the free disc, yet my dad just wants the computer to get DONE. :mad: :( :eek: :eek: