Card read/format issues...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've had a similar problem with PDAs before, but now dad's having a problem with his new camera. Basically, he wants to read the XD cards from his camrea in a card reader. When we pop them in a card reader, it says it's not formatted. We format it in Windows(tried FAT and FAT32) it works fine and we can read it. However, when we go place it back into the camrea, it won't read it(not initialized) We format in the camera, it works. Back to the computer, won't work... Back and forth... :mad:

I think dad's about to install the software for the camera. I suggested formatting though the camrea(assuming it also works as a standard USB flash drive in Windows) and seeing if that makes a difference. I shall update if it does.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, media cards can work as standard USB storage devices, it's just not as handy for that type of use because of the size and configuration of the cards.

As for the problem, what is the reader that he's using for the camera (is it built-in to the PC or is it a USB external one)? And have you tried formatting the card in NTFS on the computer, or can you not use that for some reason?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
We've tried two different external USB readers with no luck. The cards we've tried also won't allow for NTFS formatting. I doubt the camrea would read it, anyway.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I found an F30 that's a 6.2MP camera...

However, if he has the time soon, take it into the store where he bought it and see if the card will be read in one of the cameras at the store from the computer format. If not, format the card with the camera there and then try it in another camera.