Cat5e cable length?

hallie

Dear forum members, I need some help. I am installing a home network for a friend. Using a D-Link 704P router to share a broadband internet connection to 3 PCs. I had to make up 3 cables, 10M, 45M and 50M in length. I tested the cables before installing and they are wired correctly. When installing at his home, the 10M cable worked fine, but the longer cables did not...
We followed a process of elimination, swapping cables, changing connections, changing PCs, using other cables. But the long cables still do not work. There are no kinks, bends or breaks. I even purchased a $60 cable tester and the cables checked out OK. But when connecting to the router and PC, no go.
I even changed the link speed on the network card back to 10MB. Still no go.
The two connection lights on the front of the router simply flash on and off. And no green light appears on the back of the network card as you would expect in normal operation. The router and network card are brand new. The work fine as soon as I substitute the long cable with a shorter one. I even removed the RJ45 connectors and fitted two new ones. No go again. I am very frustrated right now.
Can any one give me any clues where I go now?

cunningham

r the cables running on the ground or r they running through the walls. The cables could be picking up interference if they r in the walls or the ceiling The cables should generally be able to run 100 meters.

-cunn