CCleaner was hacked

_Pete_

It was. I just read a thread about this on another forum. I ran Malwarebytes and it picked up trojan Floxit in the Ccleaner installation file. That was in version 5.33 64 bit. Everyone is saying on the other forum that it only affected the 32 bit version. That is wrong because I had the 64 bit version. So it would seem that both versions are infected. I have uninstalled Ccleaner 5.33 and deleted the installation file. I have downloaded and installed version 5.4 and that is clean or at least Malwarebytes says it is.

Agent Smith

Stll using v 4.18 here. LOL I don't see how an update is going to change what it finds, which isn't much. I run Ccleaner and System Ninja. You'll be surprised at what System Ninja finds that this popular Ccleaner doesn't. I get a laugh at people thinking that Ccleaner will rid their computer of malware. "But I ran Ccleaner!" BAHAHAHAHA!

_Pete_

Stll using v 4.18 here. LOL I don't see how an update is going to change what it finds, which isn't much. I run Ccleaner and System Ninja. You'll be surprised at what System Ninja finds that this popular Ccleaner doesn't. I get a laugh at people thinking that Ccleaner will rid their computer of malware. "But I ran Ccleaner!" BAHAHAHAHA!

What makes you think that anyone on this thread, which is the one you are reading and commenting on, used Ccleaner to clean Malware? I would suggest you read the thread properly. I was the only one who actually mentioned the fact that I had cleaned the trojan and I also mentioned that I used Malwarebytes to do it.

AlienMenace

I read about it yesterday at pcworld.com. Checked what I had at the time. I was running the 5.32v. 64bit. Checked it also with Malwarebytes before I read the whole article. Now I have 5.4v installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What makes you think that anyone on this thread, which is the one you are reading and commenting on, used Ccleaner to clean Malware? I would suggest you read the thread properly. I was the only one who actually mentioned the fact that I had cleaned the trojan and I also mentioned that I used Malwarebytes to do it.

Ok, calm down. No where in his post did he say he was replying to your comment. It is his personal experience that he said what he said. People think that ccleaner is one miracle cure for everything and its not. However, it is the first thing I run when diagnosing any issues. Ccleaner will remove most temporary files so that when you scan with other programs it won't take as long. Malwarebytes would like to hang on all the temporary files and take forever. His experience is that people say I'm infected but I ran ccleaner and I still have issues. So again, calm down.

Agent Smith

I wasn't referring to you, but posts I've seen on this forum and other forums of thread starters stating they ran Ccleaner to try and clean up an infected computer.

morella

Is that for real? I saw some of my friends posted it on social media. How do you clean the infected PC then?

_Pete_

Is that for real? I saw some of my friends posted it on social media. How do you clean the infected PC then?

In my case I only had the trojan, Floxit, and uninstalling the program and deleting the installation file (Ccsetup 533) cleared it. I did run Malwarebytes first and that picked up the trojan and deleted that. I then downloaded the new installation file (Ccsetup 534) and installed that and ran another Malwarebytes check which came up clean.

Here is some more info on this from Avast.

https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the-ccleaner-5.33.6162-security-incident

Darren

Staff member
CCleaner was never even suggested to remove viruses, so whoever thinks it does can't read.

_Pete_

Uninstall CCleaner 5.33 and run a scan with MalwareBytes

I do wish you "administrators" "moderators" and "staff members" would read the thread before stick your oars in. Uninstalling Ccleaner does not remove the threat. You have to delete the installation file as well. the installation file, in this case, is called ccsetup533.exe. If you had read this thread properly then you would know that this fact had already been stated. I could also have a go at Darren who also is a master of repeating posts.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I do wish you "administrators" "moderators" and "staff members" would read the thread before stick your oars in. Uninstalling Ccleaner does not remove the threat. You have to delete the installation file as well. the installation file, in this case, is called ccsetup533.exe. If you had read this thread properly then you would know that this fact had already been stated. I could also have a go at Darren who also is a master of repeating posts.
But technically if the Ccleaner install file is infected, Malwarebytes would catch it and quarantine it anyway. Don't understand why you are making such a big deal out of this.

Agent Smith

Just one reason why I make periodic clones to an external HDD I keep in a fire proof safe. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Bro, I have better things to do than waste my time reading threads. I pop in here, read a few responses, respond, and leave. If you don't like it, use the "ignore" feature.

ChirunoScarlet

There isn't even really a need for CCleaner anymore because registry size isn't too important compared to the pre-XP SP2 era, and other than that it does basic things that anyone could do really using Windows built-in utilities.