CD drawer on PC tower jamming

Aura

Hi I'm in the process of putting all my photo's from DVD's onto a Seagate 1tb portable hard drive. I am using windows 10 and I put the DVD's into the drawer and it works ok for the first couple of times, then when I try to open it to put another disc in, it tries to open but gets stuck.

Can you tell me what the problem could be please?

Can you use easy English please as I'm autistic and don't understand PC jardon.

Many thanks.

beers

Staff member
Probably something physical with the mechanism, if it continues to be a problem DVD drives are pretty inexpensive.

Aura

They are but I'm disabled & don't know how to fix it. It's OK a couple of times, then gets stuck wen trying to open.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually means it's an old drive that don't get much use anymore and it needs replaced as the mechanism is worn out. Happens all the time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A new dvdrom drive only costs around 20 bucks here in the USA. It's not cost effective to have something like that repaired. Would cost more than it's worth.

Aura

Sorry I'm autistic, I'll have a word with the PC guys who built my tower. Maybe I should get a portable dvd player?

mike60006

Am I better getting a portable one?
Well you may have to install the drivers with a CD your going to need a internal drive unless you can go to the manufactures website and download them may I ask what kind of USB ports you have on the computer that also plays in buying a portable drive. Some run better on a 3.0 high speed port some just on a standard 2.0 port you got to make sure on what type of port you have for maximum data transfer speeds