CD-ROM drive doesn't display in "My Computer"

Diminished7th

I've recently fdisked and reformatted my IBM Thinkpad 390x, and upon starting up the system i find that I don't have access to my cd-rom drive (Being D: ) I know that I installed the Oak Techonolgies drivers that come with the Win98se boot disk, so I'm confused as to why I've encountered this problem. Of course, I'd appreciate any help that can be provided, as this is of great importance.

*INFO* The tray does open

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i noticed that too but I only looked briefly: try installing those drivers anyways, it might work (shouldnt cause any problems, worse case it says it doesnt work)

Question: how'd you install the OS without the CD?

Diminished7th

You know what, I was just thinking that too, heh, odd. Yeah, I installed it fine through use of the cd-rom drive, so I'd think that it should work fine after installation. But, oh well, what do I know.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You know what, I was just thinking that too, heh, odd. Yeah, I installed it fine through use of the cd-rom drive
I'm guessing you booted off a floppy disk before installing? If so then the OAK drivers would be loaded before you ran the setup

Diminished7th

Yes, you're correct, but where would the OAK drivers have gone? Might it be that since they are DOS drivers they are of no use in Win98?

*NOTE* This is quite strange considering that I've installed win98, Win2kpro, etc Many of times, And I have yet to run into this problem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but where would the OAK drivers have gone?
They were loaded into memory during bootup and not actually copied after/during the installation. You can try using them. I remember having a drive (ACER40x i think) where I couldnt use the "default" drivers and needed funky drivers to get working. IBM notebook optical drives are, for the most part, LG drives so it might be worthwhile checking out LG drivers (if there are any)

Diminished7th

Hey Praetor, I really appreciate your help. Those drivers ended up being the trick. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

SENSEIS

Praetor has a point it's obvious it's detected in bios and you were able to install OS< so therefor re-install it again, os have been know to not install correctly all the time every time.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so therefor re-install it again, os have been know to not install correctly all the time every time.
Yep! The catch is that during installation those OAK drivers are only loaded temporarily and forgotten upon reboot which is what was causing the problem :) (simple solution to what seems like a very odd problem)