CD ROM weird problem. help!

bacchususa

I wonder if anyone had similar incidence. I have a dell desktop (13 months old). Yesterday, out of the sudden, i inserted a CD into the CD ROM drive but it couldnt ready. I swapped another CD, double clicked on the drive, but keeps on telling me (D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function). I ran the antivirus program that I have, but couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. I keep my desktop in an excellent shape. Anyone knows what kind of problem I might be having here.
Many thanks all.

andy

zach53singleton

If your computer is still under warranty I would let dell look at it. It would not be a virus, I imagine that something is wrong either with the cd-rom or the cable connecting it to the motherboard. I had a cd-rom do just about the samething. Hope this is helpful.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Try uninstalling the drive via Device Manager and reinstalling it, sometime this does the trick. To do so, (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Hardware, (4) Device Manager, (5) Expand the DVD/CD-ROM Drives entry, right click on thr troublesome drive and uninstall it. Now simply reboot and let Windows try and repair itself.