CD-RW Recording Problems

tarheel2660

Well earlier I was erasing from a CD-RW with my ATAPI 32/12/40x. While the drive records, the light turns red instead of green. So the computer froze while I was erasing a cd-rw and now the light is permanently red except for a few seconds when the computer boots up. Now it won't read any cds or record them. the light just stays solid red. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So the computer froze while I was erasing a cd-rw and now the light is permanently red except for a few seconds when the computer boots up.
1. What did you do when it froze? Restart? If yes, that was a bad thing (which might have been your only option)

2. Whats the real model/make? Im guessing Pine/LG/HP/Optorite etc. If you find this out you might be able to flash the firmware on the drive to reset it (which might not work but usually does)

3. Sounds like the drive is shot

tarheel2660

Well I'm not exactly sure on the make/model. I went to devices and it says Atapi. Yeah I had to restart it. What is this flash reset you speak of lol?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats all it says......
The full name will be on the drive itself (meaning youll have to pop it open)

As for flash and stuff.. once you figure out the name, maybe flashing the approrpiate bios for the drive can restore the functionality. :)