Centrino vs. Pentium 4

Southy

If you were in the means of buying a new laptop, which would be better to get, a laptop with:

Intel Centrino Mobile technology

or a laptop with:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology....

I have heard a lot of different things about each, some say the Centrino is much faster and better than Pentium 4 and Centrino is the way to go... any ideas... what do you guys think?

zort15

I haven't had any personal experince with either, but according to Intel's product page (http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/centrino/index.htm) on centrino, it uses Pentium M processors. I can't see how a mobile processor could even dream of stacking up against a hyper threaded pentium 4. But on the flip side of that, I think you might have some trouble with heat dissipation and battery life if you get a laptop with a hyper threaded pentium 4.

boombaby

If you want battery life and a very mobile laptop , go for centrino, but if you want a powerful computer that will remain stationary when it needs to be used for long periods of time , Go P4

Centrino = Not as powerful as a P4, but less battery consuming
P4= Very Powerful with HT tech, but power consuming.

Southy

Thanks for that information boombaby, it is very helpful and answers the question that I was looking for. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard a lot of different things about each, some say the Centrino is much faster and better than Pentium 4 and Centrino is the way to go... any ideas...
Clock for clock the Centrino is faster because its built off a more efficient process however it wont stand up against a high clock P4HT

Centrino = Not as powerful as a P4, but less battery consuming
P4= Very Powerful with HT tech, but power consuming.
Your comments depend on the relative clocks.