Change to Windows 8 to make laptop quicker?

eem2am

Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire A315-56. It is running wondows 10.
It has 4GB of RAM, and a standard Hard Disk Drive (not a SSD).

Is it true that windows 10 runs very slowly on laptops which have windows 10 or later?

Can i speed it up by changing to windows 8 or earlier?
Do you know how i can change to windows 8?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is its only running 4gb of ram and it's using a mechanical drive and not an SSD. Also what processor does it have?

eem2am

Thanks,
Processor is....
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20GHz, 1190 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).

Also, i believe that windows 10 is particularly bad/slow with Mechanical drives?

eem2am

Thanks, i wonder if i have a virus then?, because for over 10 years i have used mech hard drive laptops, and it wasnt this bad.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, its because you only have 4gb of ram and only a 1.2 ghz dual core processor. Those low specs doesn't help the fact that its a mechanical hard drive. Up it to 8gb of ram and an SSD and it should be somewhat usable.

novicegeek

John is absolutely right. Four gigs of RAM will provide nothing but frustration due to waiting for it to respond. At the very least, you need to add another stick of RAM, but it still only going to go as fast as the slowest component, and as John mentioned, they are slow too.

I was in that boat once; I got a new laptop with better specs (16GB RAM, i7-1165G7 CPU, and SSD), and I am much, much, much happier.

eem2am

Thanks, it amazes me that the industry would sell a laptop like this.....it is essentially unuseable due to the long waiting times.
I know 4GB@HDD is a recipe for slowness, but this slowness i have here is unuseably slow. Why did they sell this on the market?
Or might i have a virus ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, it amazes me that the industry would sell a laptop like this.....it is essentially unuseable due to the long waiting times.
I know 4GB@HDD is a recipe for slowness, but this slowness i have here is unuseably slow. Why did they sell this on the market?
Or might i have a virus ?
Because they are cheap and many people buy them without realizing it's gonna be slow. Been going on for years.

Last edited: