Charms/side task bar Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

milboltnut

I tried going into properties, navigation, corner navigation. Removed the checked box "when I point to the upper right hand corner, show charms" I rebooted my computer too.

It doesn't work. I went into Registry editor and that didn't work..... anyway else that works ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if it doesn't work when you uncheck it then something is up with windows. I can only recommend upgrading to windows 10 as its still free to do so.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
so much for the computer forum ! LMAO
Some of us have lives.

so you have no idea otherwise then ?
You can try the following and see if it helps

1. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
2. Once the above completes run the following command: sfc /scannow

Reboot and see if that helps.

Again as John said if you still have issues upgrade to Windows 10.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
We have no idea what you have done to your system to where its not allowing the charms bar to be disabled. You have already edited the registry and who knows how many times you have done it before and possibly screwed something up. The only sure fire way to get windows back to normal is to do a fresh install and start over. But you are on windows 8 and it doesn't make sense to start over with that when windows 10 is still free to upgrade to on Windows 7 and 8 machines. If the SFC /scannow utility doesn't detect any altered or missing system files then you won't have many options left.

milboltnut

User has been warned for this post
oh you stupid bastard.... how in the hell can someone credit you for anything? I went back in and returned the way it was, simple.

So I didn't do anything to screw anything up. How's that?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wow.

Again, we don't know the history of your machine. On an unaltered system, disabling/enabling the charms bar should work as normal. You say you have searched online for different ways to accomplish this and nothing has worked. What other things are you expecting us to tell you do. We are telling you that something is up with your operating system. When was the last time windows was reinstalled on this pc? If never, you are way way over due. Reinstallation of windows should happen every couple years at a minimum. My install is 3 years old now and it needs a reinstall because of it slowing down, I even have an nvme SSD as boot drive.

Your choices right now, are backing up your data and reinstall windows 8 or upgrade to windows 10 using this website.

Download the tool and follow the prompts to update your pc to the latest version of windows 10.

Or do nothing and live with the way it is.

By the way, have you downloaded and ran ccleaner to clean your system of old unneeded files and to make your system faster? What about using Malwarebytes to scan your system for malware?

We aren't here to get you upset or anything. There just isn't a magical way of fixing things if you exhausted all other options of trying to do what you want to do. Then end problem is that something is wrong with your OS. And there is only 1 way to fix that.

milboltnut

Wow ! again you don't so don't assume ! LOL A clean up doesn't do anything in this instance... Mr. Computer wiz. LOL''

Unwanted files don't have anyhting that is part of the 8 software, even I know that, but obviously you don't. Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.