chrome data e.g history, bookmarks problem

kenny1999

I've asked a couple of times in in Google forum but their answers are so odd to me.
They said bookmarks and history , cache etc are on my computer , instead of being on the google mails account

However, it's obviously that Google would save those data and make it available anywhere in the world

In fact my question is.... how to combine datas stored on several Google/Gmail accounts into one??

I 'd want to delete some useless accounts but I don't know if they have stored any data

SpriteMidr

What exactly do you mean...?

Google Mail is a website that you can run on an internet browser such as Google Chrome, they don't share information as such, unless you mean cookies, session data and local storage in JS.

Google Chrome has a feature to log in with a Google Account, which can save your bookmarks.

If you mean you want to combine bookmarks from several accounts, I believe the current bookmarks get merged with the account ones when you log in. If not, you can do it the awesome manual way.

In Google Chrome, click the upload_2016-4-15_10-5-36.png settings button, and go to Bookmarks > Bookmarks Manager, like so:

upload_2016-4-15_10-6-49.png

In the bookmarks manager, you have an option labelled "ORGANISE". If you click that, you have the option to export all your current bookmarks on that system to a hypertext markup language file (HTML file).
upload_2016-4-15_10-8-35.png

If you save this HTML file somewhere, and open it in Notepad, you should see some Hypertext markup like this:

upload_2016-4-15_10-11-6.png
You will probably have a massive string for the ICON attribute. I just deleted them to make this easier to read.

If you generate one of these files for every account you have, you can then get one of the files and copy and paste each <DT>...</DT> line in where I typed <ADD STUFF HERE>, and save it, you can then log back into Chrome with your desired account and then use the Bookmarks Manager to IMPORT bookmarks from an HTML file.

To be honest, I never bother with syncing stuff as I always find there is an issue somewhere which is a pain in the arse to sort out. I don't bother using Microsoft Accounts to log on with Windows, the only thing I really use is Google Drive occasionally using the online client, and OneNote to sync revision notes. Try this and see if it works, or if I misunderstood you, can you give some more details on what you are trying to achieve?

They said bookmarks and history , cache etc are on my computer , instead of being on the google mails account

However, it's obviously that Google would save those data and make it available anywhere in the world

Correct, it is stored in both places (If you log into Chrome with a Google Account).
upload_2016-4-15_10-16-55.png
...otherwise no. It will just be stored on your PC.

Cache is what is says on the tin. It is data saved temporarily so that it doesn't have to be retrieved every time it is used.

Your bookmarks get updated by Chrome when it syncs, not sure quite how this works, but it is fairly quick to update, probably uses some sort of push notification system.

The problem is, whenever you want to see the bookmarks bar, do you really want to have to open a connection to Google's servers and wait for the data to be sent, which can take upto a few hundred milliseconds generally? If you are on a metered connection this becomes a pain. For the sake of a few megabytes on your hard drive or computer storage, Chrome can save a copy of this. This means that 1. it can remember bookmarks if it cannot connect to Google for whatever reason, and 2. reading from a hard disk, whilst hundreds of times slower than reading from memory, is much faster than having to connect to a metal box with a computer inside it on the other side of the world.

Last edited: