Chrome download but won't install. Please help.

fmonte

So out of nowhere chrome would not respond to my desktop short cut. I removed it from my computer and downloaded the new version. The download shows up in my download folder. I click on it and I get a pop up saying do you want app to make changes. I click and I get a meter reading on your mark. After it cycles I get nothing. Please help. I go to recently added in the start menu but nowhere to be found. I have checked on Youtube. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried restarting the pc? What about scanning for malware using malwarebytes? Did you uninstall it using programs and features? My guess is that you got something blocking it, most likely malware.

fmonte

Thanks John for the quick response. I did uninstall it using the add remove feature. I tried the restart but that did not help. I also tried a shutdown and restart. I also ran Malwarebytes and got no findings. Still, when I go to download Chrome, I see the file in my downloads folder, I click on it and the pop up appears asking if I want to allow the app to make changes. I hit yes and I get a meter that flashes on the screen for a couple of seconds saying "on your marks". I go to recently downloaded programs but I can not find Chrome.

By the way, I don't know if this is pertinent but when I go to shut down and restart or just restart my computer it takes about 5 minutes to get to my sign in page. Also, during that process I never see the blue windows logo (it always use to pop up). I have an SSD drive so it used to boot in about 1 minute.

Lastly, note the alert that never goes away reflecting a window update and "restart required" (see attached). Thank you for any new advice.

Capture.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it takes that long to load windows then there could be a hard drive issue or just too much crap that needs to be removed. Another option is to download and run ccleaner, open it up and go to the custom clean tab on the left and run that. The process may take some time to complete. Then go into the startup tab in task manager and disable all nonessential programs from loading at bootup. Report back. But again this could all stem from a failing ssd.

Couriant

By the way, I don't know if this is pertinent but when I go to shut down and restart or just restart my computer it takes about 5 minutes to get to my sign in page. Also, during that process I never see the blue windows logo (it always use to pop up). I have an SSD drive so it used to boot in about 1 minute.

Lastly, note the alert that never goes away reflecting a window update and "restart required" (see attached). Thank you for any new advice.

View attachment 11562
This may be related. Windows will make changes during the restart and after but before the login. Does it mention anything about unable to update, undoing changes?