ChromeBook or Laptop ?

spirit

Staff member
I don't think Mac are easier than Windows though, I for example have tried a few times OSX and to be honest I'm a little lost sometimes.

It depends a lot on the user. If you've only ever only really used Windows in your life (like me), it'll take time to adapt to OS X or something else. Given some time, I'm sure you'd master OS X.

Punk

Staff member
It depends a lot on the user. If you've only ever only really used Windows in your life (like me), it'll take time to adapt to OS X or something else. Given some time, I'm sure you'd master OS X.

Exactly my point, it works for all three OSes: Windows, OSX and Linux (Ubuntu or Mint)

PCunicorn

Also, saying most people have iPhones and iPads is inaccurate. 3 years ago, yeah but nowadays Android has over 50 percent market share I believe. I think most those points aren't completely valid. Many ultrabooks and some lappys have Macbook long battery life and more. That doesn't mean I wouldn't reccomend Macbooks, just I wouldnt say it has stuff that no laptop has except OS X.

Geoff

VIP Member
Also, saying most people have iPhones and iPads is inaccurate. 3 years ago, yeah but nowadays Android has over 50 percent market share I believe. I think most those points aren't completely valid. Many ultrabooks and some lappys have Macbook long battery life and more. That doesn't mean I wouldn't reccomend Macbooks, just I wouldnt say it has stuff that no laptop has except OS X.
I do agree that Android is rapidly gaining market share, but iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad's) are more popular than Android phones and tablets combined. If you asked a high school or college student if they have or know how to use an iOS device, I'd bet almost all the people you asked would say yes.

BTW I hate iPhone's, so I'm not an Apple fanboy. And Ben, I'm sure you'd pick up how to use Mac's fast. I never used them before taking my job but within a week or two I was very comfortable with them.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah that's true, but as you said Android still wins, or at least is very close to.
Correct, but in tablet sales Apple is by far the highest still.

From what I've seen at our school, iOS devices are very popular with middle and high school students and are by far the majority, while adults tend to go more with Android as they have more choices.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I do agree that Android is rapidly gaining market share, but iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad's) are more popular than Android phones and tablets combined. If you asked a high school or college student if they have or know how to use an iOS device, I'd bet almost all the people you asked would say yes.

BTW I hate iPhone's, so I'm not an Apple fanboy. And Ben, I'm sure you'd pick up how to use Mac's fast. I never used them before taking my job but within a week or two I was very comfortable with them.

I am in college and I can't see what is connected to the network however I can say easily Android is by far the majority. Not saying I don't run into quiet a few apple people but just by watching people pull out there devices I can easily say I see way more Androids.

I have had two Macbook Pro's over the last three years and I think the thing anyone who has used any Unix Like OS would run into like myself is already having a Unix like back ground I have high expectations for Mac OS X and it has been and will continue to be the slowest and buggiest version of Unix I had ever used. The only reason I would ever use a Mac is if I needed to run the latest proprietary software and wanted to do so on the slowest and buggiest version of Unix possible.

In terms of stability and performance OS X is a disgrace to Free BSD.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Why are people recommending Chromebooks? Did anyone read the OP? He goes on to say he does not know anything about Chromebooks but he needs a computer with 4 to 8 GB or RAM and a 1 TB HDD. Chromebooks only come with 2 GB of RAM and a 16 SSD with 100 GB of google drive.

Not to mention if you plan on utilizing 4 to 8 GB of RAM the CPU's in the Chromebooks wouldn't support enough task at one time to fill up that much
RAM.

So the answer is simple, get a PC.

EDIT: To answer you OP and make it simple Chromebooks don't work if you need to work with any form of tools. Macbooks are nice feeling hardware however a rip off and price gouge. Apple is still selling a notebook with a 3rd Gen i5, 4 GB of RAM, 500 5400RPM HDD, Intel HD 4000 graphics and 720p display for $1,200. The notebook listed in my specs gets the same battery, far better performance with a 1080p display for $700.

So just go standard Windows PC, far better hardware for the price. Not to mention unless we are comparing Bash and Powershell when looking at just standard use of the desktop Windows 8.1 feels far more responsive and if you ever want to venture down the Unix road you can install Ubuntu or anyone of them and get faster hardware with the power of Unix.

Now before those of you who argue OS X superior security then read...

Why worry about viruses when that can just set your Mac on fire!
https://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/022614-rsa-apple-attack-279212.html

Apple needs to patch! Security flaws!
http://www.zdnet.com/major-apple-security-flaw-patch-issued-users-open-to-mitm-attacks-7000026624/

Those who like to argue security it is not OS X is better then Windows or the other way around. Instead I would argue the difference between open source development and proprietary development. They are finding flaws in OS X and I could provide more links then this but those prove the case. OS X is about 7% market share and they find plenty of security problems which is scary if they had 90% market share and was under the scope far more by hackers. Those who recommend OS X based on security should educate yourself and if you want a truly secure solution open source operating systems are far superior.

Last edited:

ChromeBook4LIFE

Why are people recommending Chromebooks? Did anyone read the OP? He goes on to say he does not know anything about Chromebooks but he needs a computer with 4 to 8 GB or RAM and a 1 TB HDD. Chromebooks only come with 2 GB of RAM and a 16 SSD with 100 GB of google drive.

Not to mention if you plan on utilizing 4 to 8 GB of RAM the CPU's in the Chromebooks wouldn't support enough task at one time to fill up that much
RAM.

EDIT: To answer you OP and make it simple Chromebooks don't work if you need to work with any form of tools. Macbooks are nice feeling hardware however a rip off and price gouge. Apple is still selling a notebook with a 3rd Gen i5, 4 GB of RAM, 500 5400RPM HDD, Intel HD 4000 graphics and 720p display for $1,200. The notebook listed in my specs gets the same battery, far better performance with a 1080p display for $700.

So just go standard Windows PC, far better hardware for the price. Not to mention unless we are comparing Bash and Powershell when looking at just standard use of the desktop Windows 8.1 feels far more responsive and if you ever want to venture down the Unix road you can install Ubuntu or anyone of them and get faster hardware with the power of Unix.

Now before those of you who argue OS X superior security then read...

Why worry about viruses when that can just set your Mac on fire!
https://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/022614-rsa-apple-attack-279212.html

Apple needs to patch! Security flaws!
http://www.zdnet.com/major-apple-security-flaw-patch-issued-users-open-to-mitm-attacks-7000026624/

Those who like to argue security it is not OS X is better then Windows or the other way around. Instead I would argue the difference between open source development and proprietary development. They are finding flaws in OS X and I could provide more links then this but those prove the case. OS X is about 7% market share and they find plenty of security problems which is scary if they had 90% market share and was under the scope far more by hackers. Those who recommend OS X based on security should educate yourself and if you want a truly secure solution open source operating systems are far superior.

MacBooks are way overpriced. There is nothing special about a MacBook that I would pay an extra $600 for. Save $600 and get a nice light weight chromebook.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member

RAM.

I am starting to think you work at google as I know I already answered why a Chromebook would not work as for the specs he would like there is no chromebook that supports that configuration.

Geoff

VIP Member
MacBooks are way overpriced. There is nothing special about a MacBook that I would pay an extra $600 for. Save $600 and get a nice light weight chromebook.
Haha, I can tell bu your name that you are biased towards Chromebooks. $600 more for a MacBook is way better in most situations.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd rather drop $1200 on a Macbook that I know will do everything I want it to do, rather than spend very little money on a Chromebook.