Cleaning Computer Using Car Air Compressor

speedyink

VIP Member
Wow, what measurement of PSI are you guys using? If it's pounds per square inch your looking at 60-70 PSI, MAX! 260 PSI will blow the components out of your computer! Air ratchets for example use around 90-120 PSI.

As for that auto pump, that does NOT push out 250 PSI, it only has the ability to fill something up to 250PSI, which is entire bullshit in itself. It's like cheap chinese companies that make speakers advertising 200 watts, only they're using the peak music output measurement rating, which can translate to something like 3 watts RMS in drastic cases. I own a pump exactly like that and it takes about 5 minutes to inflate one car tire to about 35psi, and that's being entirely generous, i'm sure it weighs in more on the 10 minutes side of things..never actually timed it. It takes my house compressor set at 100 PSI about half a minute. It MIGHT work if you hacked it up and put a very small nozzle to the end, thus creating a more refined stream of pressure.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah it's per square inch. We have just an air nozzle on it and turn the pressure up as high as we can (which is like 110 or so). Believe me, you need a lot of air when dealing with heavy thick dust. It clogs heatsinks so bad. I'll have to dig out a few pictures when I get back to school tomorrow night.

cabinfever1977

There not just for filling air in a tire, they also can operate air power tools and also with the right attachment can blow air with the sweeze of handle, used to dust off your clothes and stuff, like computers. Used in shops and garages around the world and plug into a outlet for power,not sure if 220 or 110 but both are probally available.

speedyink

VIP Member
Yeah it's per square inch. We have just an air nozzle on it and turn the pressure up as high as we can (which is like 110 or so). Believe me, you need a lot of air when dealing with heavy thick dust. It clogs heatsinks so bad. I'll have to dig out a few pictures when I get back to school tomorrow night.

I must not have seen computers as dirty as you have...I've never needed 110 psi to clean a computer. I am worried about component damage if you turn it up much higher than that. Those little plastic fan fins don't look very strong :p

There not just for filling air in a tire, they also can operate air power tools and also with the right attachment can blow air with the sweeze of handle, used to dust off your clothes and stuff, like computers. Used in shops and garages around the world and plug into a outlet for power,not sure if 220 or 110 but both are probally available.

The compressor in question is not a standard air compressor, but a portable 12v car tire compressor. You are right, a standard air compressor would be ideal, but this guys trying to do it on the super cheap.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
I must not have seen computers as dirty as you have...I've never needed 110 psi to clean a computer. I am worried about component damage if you turn it up much higher than that. Those little plastic fan fins don't look very strong :p

The compressor in question is not a standard air compressor, but a portable 12v car tire compressor. You are right, a standard air compressor would be ideal, but this guys trying to do it on the super cheap.

I asked my uncle and he conformed that te car air compressors output would be pulsated.he also adviced me to look into electric air blowers.if anyone knows about them can you tell me?

And yeah I am looking for it to be do in the cheapest way.the max I can pay is 30bucks.

tremmor

I did what i bought. Im sure you can buy even cheaper. could buy a used one. look at the credentials from the seller at ebay and how many sells and his reputation. if you can buy or he will ship to India.
good luck.

i didn't check but think said you can't buy in states or ebay. this is heavy also. might want to look though. maybe he will ship. maybe not. might not want to bother with it. might cost twice as much. one thought though. go to a vacuum store and check there. even newegg. My vacuum cleaner will and can be used both ways. that was a mistake though for me. I always bought the cleaner for years. i told my wife to buy it this time. she went back to the same store and bought one. Guess how much. $1000.00 bucks for a vacuum cleaner.
Needless to say.........i kept my mouth shut.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

Well if you stop the fans with the nozzle they'll break :D

These are the only shots I have of a dusty computer, and it's definitely not the worst I've ever seen.

img1831h.jpg

img1834w.jpg

img1835j.jpg