Clone hard drive with bad sectors

chris0147

Hi all,

I need your advice, I am thinking about clone my old HDD hard drive with bad sectors to put them on another hard drive to recover my files on another drive. I don't have any problem with accessing the drive, but I am having a problem with accessing my files through on the data recovery program as I have lost my files due to crashes from the OS.

When I attempted to scan my files through on the data recovery program, it will take hours to scan my files and I dont want to make it worse when the drive have bad sectors. I guess the old hard drive is on the way out sooner or later.

Do you think is it good idea to clone the hard drive with bad sectors and put them on another hard drive so I could recover my files on another drive without send the hard drive to the professional??

Would it make it worse if I attempt to do this?

I hope it will give you an idea with what I am trying to do to save my money without send the drive to a professional data recovery company.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What I do in this case is install windows on the new drive and transfer any personal data to the new drive. That way you know you have a clean and healthy windows installation. I would stop using the drive until you can transfer the data over.

chris0147

You dont understand what I am trying to do.

I have lost my files on the HDD hard drive. I am thinking about make an Image of the disk with a 3rd party Imaging/Cloning application, and recover my files on another disk.

If I do this to make an image with bad sectors from the HDD hard drive, would it make it worse for the HDD hard drive that would put the stress on them before it start to fails or it would not affect it?

Do you think is it good idea if I could make an image with the bad sectors from one disk to another disk?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can but I doubt very seriously if you'll have a viable way to recover data, maybe some if you are lucky. So are you saying it doesn't even boot into windows? Have you ran a diskcheck on it?

chris0147

You can but I doubt very seriously if you'll have a viable way to recover data, maybe some if you are lucky. So are you saying it doesn't even boot into windows? Have you ran a diskcheck on it?

No, it is a Disk drive that I have stored my files in it before I lost it due to computer went crash. I have tried to do chkdsk to repair bad sectors but it took hours to attempt to recover so I decided to stop using the drive and find a way to recover my data.

So do you think it is a good idea if I should make an image of the disk with bad sectors to put them on another disk so I could attempt to recover my files on another drive or do you think if I should send the faulty disk to a professional data recovery company who will do this more easily?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Again, by cloning your bad drive to a new drive won't miraculously make your files appear. If the files are that important, you need to send it off to a professional data recovery company but that will cost hundreds of dollars and recovery isn't guaranteed.

beers

Staff member
Introducing more wear on the failing drive could exacerbate the issue if you planned on using professional recovery.

You can always 'try', but you'll get the same timeout and nonreadable sectors. If you truly can't read the data, how are you going to write it to another medium?

Also can you describe what happened for 'crash' in more detail? A lot of people who aren't familiar with computers use the term 'crash' very liberally.