Cloning a hard drive

mjm

New Member
How do I clone my hard drive? It is getting real close to going out and I don't want to loose what is on it. Thanks:MJM
 
there's a bunch of freeware applications on download.com for backing up harddrives/partitions. I do not have any certain one to recommend though.
 
You can try Acronis DiskImage. Or, while much more difficult and an ancient way of copying disks, try copy*. Really difficult with Windows PCs. No one would have to image a disk if they backed up all their files, kept their OS CDs or restore cds (not to be confused with system restore) and their OS cds.

*copy is the old MSDOS command
 
If your on mac on disk utility you can make an image of your hdd and then store it on a external HD then put in a new hdd go to disk utility on your repair disk and click restore hd then find the image.
 
With the free Linux drive tool GParted live for cd you can copy an entire partition directly from drive to drive without compression just like you would copy folders. If you are trying to clone Windows onto a new larger drive a clean install would be the thought for the fresh hardware detecttion.

Forget Vista there for sure. When copying a primary from an ide to sata drive even after reformatting Vista wouldn't go on. I then deleted that to see a brand new primary. The new version requires a fresh primary unless upgrading from XP or another older version.
 
Just go buy a copy of Norton Ghost. It is easy to use and powerful. You won't have to fuss with open source things, or downloading ISOs and burning them on to disks. I am assuming you are an average user that just wants things to work.

If you are looking at setting up an incremental back up solution look at an application called retrospect.
 
Gee? And I was just looking at Acronis True Image for backing up a drive. That allows you to store images from one drive on another.
 
Back
Top