Cloning or imaging the system?

bluedreamer1979

Helo guys, I hope you can help. I have laptop A (with broken screen and win 10 installed) and want to transfer everything on Laptop B. They are not the same configuration (Hp & Dell). Obviously I can boot and use Laptop A with external monitor to make image file. I would like to move all settings, software and even certificates if possible to Laptop B.
Now, here comes the problem, I have watched a dosen of videos about windows disk cloning but they all seem to use disk drive which has to be phisically inserted into laptop B (which will make me lose warranty on Laptop B).
So I am thinking about using disk image and not cloning.
Will disk image keep all settings and software and run it on another machine? Which program (preferabily free) should I use? (Macrium, Clonezilla..)
I hope the question makes sense ;)

Thank you

beers

Staff member
The easiest solution would be to get a SATA to USB converter or enclosure and then leverage cloning software like macrium/dd/etc between the two drives. This would wipe everything off of Laptop B.

I'd take the clone approach, that's more useful for 1:1 preserving all of your data. An image is usually more useful for a reinstallation, so if you had a Windows setup the way you wanted you could image it and then restore it if you ever wanted to 'fresh format'.