Compaq laptops?

4W4K3

VIP Member
My mom has a Compaq Presario 2100, and she loves it. It's pretty fast, and the screen is really crisp. It is a bit on the bulky side, and kinda heavy...i say go with there slim models (not sure what model # it is) Consider e-machines...

RiseandTakeOver

lemme say this.. in 2002 we bought a compaq laptop (by we i mean family).. in 2003, it started randomly cutting off.. we took it to compaq... they charged us $100 and told us it was perfectly fine... next day... kept cutting off... so i researched this and many MANY compaqs do this... odd how it started doing it right after the warrenty ended too... anyways... this may be a bit rough but.... compaqs are the worst computers ever in any form... save your money and your time and get a dell or something... at least they offer free support

4W4K3

VIP Member
RiseandTakeOver said:
lemme say this.. in 2002 we bought a compaq laptop (by we i mean family).. in 2003, it started randomly cutting off.. we took it to compaq... they charged us $100 and told us it was perfectly fine... next day... kept cutting off... so i researched this and many MANY compaqs do this... odd how it started doing it right after the warrenty ended too... anyways... this may be a bit rough but.... compaqs are the worst computers ever in any form... save your money and your time and get a dell or something... at least they offer free support

by "cut off" what do you mean? reboot or something? I'm interested cuz my moms compaq laptop just lost warranty a few months ago, don't want to have any probs with it.

RiseandTakeOver

cut off as in.. it loaded into windows.. i would run word or solitaire or anything and the computer would simply cut off. Straight up lose all power, not reboot or anything. Other times, i would go to turn it on and it wouldn't come on... one really bad day this happened and i decided to kick it across the room... then i picked it up and hit the button and it turned on (i'm dead serious).. i don't know what is wrong with it but i filed a grievance with the better business bureau and somehow HP (they own compaq) got it thrown out..

4W4K3

VIP Member
opening it up might have cleared things up lol. Sounds like the battery was shot or something. That or it had a faulty mobo. I've taken apart this Dell so many times now...everytime i find something to clean or improve. I guess it's just on a personal basis...cuz i've had a compaq desktop computer running for years now without a problem (AMD K6-2 475mhz) and my moms laptop is still in shape. Had more problems with HP desktop computers really. My sisters is pooping out as of late, faulty HD, shot RAM...maybe its the mobo i dunno.

RiseandTakeOver

i opened it up.. at first i thought it was the mobo.. which would have been simple, cause replacing the mobo was more expensive then the original laptop... but nooooo... the mobo worked fine.. i discovered that when i put in a new laptop harddrive the laptop worked fine (for a few weeks).. now i'm rather confused.. the power supply works properly.. mobo works properly.. everything works fine.. i think a jumper or something may be loose.. but like i said, i've found at least 500 cases of this.. so i doubt it'll be as easy as tightening something up...

Super_Nova

My overall impression of compaq has improved over the years. I use to hate them. As far as desktops I stay clear of brand names and build them myself. With laptops I don't have that luxury so it's hard to say but the ones i've seen are decent. I would give my opinion and say as brand names go IBM and Toshiba are pretty nice. I've seen nothing I dislike about compaqs or HP's. Dell is the dog poop on my shoes though.

Last edited:

jmasta264

I have a presario 2100 and just about everything has broken on it. The HD, CD Drive, PCMIA Card Slot, Battery (2x), Power input... The biggest thing that i did wrong with this purchase was get the 3 year warranty. not only did they lose my warranty information twice, but they have the slowest and least reliable tech "support" on the planet. if something does break on your laptop, they say that they will call you back, and they don't, call them back as soon as possible and ask to talk to their supervisor. they have the ability to "escalate" your problem so they will finally call back (in my issues i had to get my case escalated 4 times before it was important enough to get a call back). I'm going to stop complaining about their tech support because i could do it all day. Overall its the luck of the draw on weither or not your laptop wil cause none or a lot of problems for you. Good Luck!

Camper

I own a Compaq Presario x6000 and I haven’t hade any trouble with it. My bro has a 3 year old Compaq Presario 1700 and it's only hade minor software problems.