Compaq Presario 900 - always working fan ?!

stt_d31

Hello

I have already 2 years a Compaq Presario 900 Laptop, and i must say that I'm very happy with it !!

But, there's a huge thing I never understood :
When I set up my internet sharing connection (with the wizard of XP), then it adds a "Network Bridge" to my network connections... And from the moment there's a fan in my laptop that never stops working until I re-install my OS !!!! that always-working-fan annoys me incredible after 2 years !

Anyone has experience or a solution to this problem because the sound of that fan makes me sick !!!

computerdude2004

That sounds weird. You should look in your BIOS and see if you told it to always run the fans. Do you have a fan controller? It could be telling your fan to run at all times. Your fan is supposed to turn off with the computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Believe me, if the fan is running ... it should be running. If you dont like it now, consider how little you'll like it when it doesnt work :p

Super_Nova

Yeah laptop fans only work when needed, if it's on it's needed. It could be that you've assigned it a new task that is processor intensive and therefore it needs cooling all the time.

stt_d31

Not true.
When monitoring cpu usage a few hours without doing anything on the pc, the cpu usage never becomes higher than 10% in a few hours... but the fans never shut up...

When I re-install windows XP everything works fine and the fans shut up after a few minutes.... But always when I do windows XP network setup, the ****ing "network bridge" appears in my network connection and from that moment on the fans never stop !!!

I really don't get it.

When i put the laptop in the refrigerator, the fans also never stop, so think it's not a temperature problem.

I just don't understand it why !!!! and the annoying never-stopping fan-noise drives me crazy !!!

I need help !!! first of all to understand the problem and secondly to find a solution....

Anyone else has the same experience with this Compaq Presario 900 ?

stt_d31

computerdude2004 said:
Your fan is supposed to turn off with the computer.
of course, shutting the pc down and re-installing windows (and not doing xp network sharing setup) is the only way to make the fans operate like i think they are supposed to do.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
why don't you manually remove the bridge after the wizard sets up your connection share