computer boot failure

gamerman4

Alrighty guys lemme give you the rundown.

1. got 2 x 2GB sticks for my comp (in sig)
2. put them in and they worked fine
3. did a little overclocking and after a bit the computer refused to boot.
4. Tried resetting BIOS, nothing
5. re-seated (and reapplied As5) the CPU
6. went back to old RAM
7. have the motherboard completely out of the case and have only the PSU connected

As of right now when I turn it on this happens:

1. every fan spins
2. HDDs spin up
3. CPU warms up (saw this by touching the bottom of the HSF near the CPU socket
4. The only weird thing I see is that the CPU_FAN fan header isn't providing constant power, my fan is an LED fan and when I have it plugged into the CPU_FAN header, the LED blinks off every couple of seconds.
5. to see if the rear panel is getting anything, I have a network cable plugged into the back of the motherboard and have that connected to my router, if it gets any signal, the green status lights should blink, so far they are not blinking
6. no POST beeps, even with RAM out which should always beep, nothing

have I shot my motherboard?

Last edited:

JTM

I've seen a case of something like this. The PSU is supplying low volts (if you check) and the fans spin for a second and then stop immediately. I would recommend having someone check the volts on the rails before you zero out the motherboard.

gamerman4

It is a brand new PC Power and Cooling PSU, if it was the PSU wouldn't all fan headers be weak? If I put the fan in the SYS_FAN or PSU_FAN headers, all is well and it just spins as fast as it can.

JTM

It is a brand new PC Power and Cooling PSU, if it was the PSU wouldn't all fan headers be weak? If I put the fan in the SYS_FAN or PSU_FAN headers, all is well and it just spins as fast as it can.

I would still check your PSU for volts.

gamerman4

Well I dont have a PSU tester so that is out anyways. I doubt its the PSU tho, it was working perfectly fine before I started messing with my clock settings.