Computer boots up and then shuts off repeatedly

quim201

I've had my PC for around 6 years now and it sometimes gave some troubles like every other PC, but now it's doing a weird thing when I try to boot it up. It boots up for a few seconds and then shuts down, then starts booting up for another few seconds and then shuts down again, repeating this process over and over again until finally out of nowhere it boots up and it just runs like nothing happened. Is something wrong with my PC? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you cleaned out your cpu fan lately? Almost sounds like it overheating but it shouldn't be restarting on its own unless you have a bios setting enabled where it would start on its own. Is this a store bought pc or custom built?

quim201

Have you cleaned out your cpu fan lately? Almost sounds like it overheating but it shouldn't be restarting on its own unless you have a bios setting enabled where it would start on its own. Is this a store bought pc or custom built?
It's a custom build but like I said I've had it for a while and it never did it. But you're probably right I haven't cleaned the cpu fan in a long time so that might be the problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But if it is overheating then it shouldn't be restarting by itself. Go into the bios and make sure that the setting for back on after power loss is disabled or any other "wake on" settings. What motherboard do you have?

quim201

But if it is overheating then it shouldn't be restarting by itself. Go into the bios and make sure that the setting for back on after power loss is disabled or any other "wake on" settings. What motherboard do you have?
I can only change the BIOS when I boot the pc up right? Also my motherboard is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can only access the bios at bootup.
Also my motherboard is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
That would be your video card, not the motherboard. The 750ti is quite old at this point and it may also be what is causing the reboot issues. Are you overclocking at all? If so, remove the overclock and see what happens.

quim201

Yes you can only access the bios at bootup.

That would be your video card, not the motherboard. The 750ti is quite old at this point and it may also be what is causing the reboot issues. Are you overclocking at all? If so, remove the overclock and see what happens.
I have no clue what overclocking means so I don't know if I am overclocking or not xd. Also my bad on the motherboard, I thought u meant something else since I'm english is not my main language. I checked online and this is the motherboard, according to cmd, "PRIME B250M-K", pretty sure it's the default one that was on the pc when I first got it but I don't exactly know.

beers

Staff member
I've seen ones with RAM timings that are too aggressive boot loop a few times until it down negotiates settings to stable parameters.

Maybe run Memtest86+? Did you enable XMP?

quim201

I've seen ones with RAM timings that are too aggressive boot loop a few times until it down negotiates settings to stable parameters.

Maybe run Memtest86+? Did you enable XMP?
I went into the BIOS and didn't find anything with the name XMP so idk? xd. I might give Memtest86+ a try if it's a trustworthy source.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If it runs fine after it starts, I don't think heat is your problem. Being 6 years old timing could be a problem. Really anything overclocked for 6 years could be. Try going into the bios and set it to default. Now, if it has been overclocked that will reset everything.