Computer build

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
id go with the thermaltake if i were you, but its entirely your decision. IMO the lian li is extremely over priced, and doesnt look as good

Professor

Ok I'm confused, most things I've read say to use thermal paste on your processor. I went to the AMD website and they say to use a thermal pad for long time use and paste for short time use. Which is it?

Also, when you buy a processor, does it come with a heatsink?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
alot of brand new heat sink will come with a strip on the bottom, this is all you need, but remember to take the top layer of as its protective plastic. if it doesnt come with this then your goign to need to apply a very small amount of thermal paste to the procesor.

and if you buy a processor as retail, then itll come with a heatsink and fan, if you buy it as OEM which is usually a bit cheaper then youll have to buy a HSF

M0ddingMan1a

go with the ThermaltaKE cuz its sturdy, good material. nice look. all sorts of fan slots and front ports. yada yada, its worth ur money.

Professor

Ok thanks, I'm going to go with Thermaltake. You guys convinced me. ;)

Thanks for the help with the heatsink question. I think I've got it all clear now. I just really do not want to mess up the heatsink stuff, especially if I get the AMD FX-55. I think I would cry if I bought that and I messed up the heatsink and it fried.

Again thanks for all the help.

Professor

Ok another question.

I was looking for the AMD Athlon 64 FX55 Clawhammer/Hammer 1GHz FSB 1MB cache Socket 939 Processor -Retail, but the only thing they had was the same thing only the FSB was Integrated into the Chip.

What does that mean? and Is that the same thing as what I want?

Bobo

banned
Professor said:
I was looking for the AMD Athlon 64 FX55 Clawhammer/Hammer 1GHz FSB 1MB cache Socket 939 Processor -Retail, but the only thing they had was the same thing only the FSB was Integrated into the Chip.

What does that mean? and Is that the same thing as what I want?
I have no idea about that, but the price is down to $776 now at Newegg. :D

Professor

Ya, but I was thinking. The only difference between the FX55 and the 4000+ is 200MHz Operating Frequency. So is 200MHz, which I probably won't even notice, worth $300+?

Bobo

banned
wegg.com
Professor said:
Ya, but I was thinking. The only difference between the FX55 and the 4000+ is 200MHz Operating Frequency. So is 200MHz, which I probably won't even notice, worth $300+?
No, thats not the only difference. Off the top of my head, I don't know what they are, but the differences do indeed exist. Ask someone else:p

Professor

Well I don't know how to overclock or why you would want to do that so is it even worth it for me to spend the extra $300? In your opinion is the better OC ability worth $300?

Professor

OK, thanks for the help. I'll probably just go with the 4000+ and then have more money for another video card down the line.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. get an AMD platform
2. save your money and dont buy the 6800ultra, yer payin and extra $200 for a whopping 50mhz here and there (compared to the 6800gt)
3. for an AMD platform, you may want to consider boards by msi and dfi :)

get a dvd burner. you'll regret it later if you don't .
or (s)he could regret not holding out for a later model ;)

want to save some money ? i gb of ram is enough .
thats what (s)he is getting .

you like ASUS ? get the a8n-sli deluxe insted great card and will give you lots of expansion .
1. ASUS is more of an intel/K7 company as of late. their K8 stuff hasnt been so stellar
2. a8n-sli isnt a card. it's a motherboard

do i really need 2 73 gb hard drives ?
no. see the HDD 101

consider the fx-55, i think it is better than the 4000, also, it has been around longer .(why that means anything, i don't know, but it makes it sound better
1. being around longer = older = sounds crappier
2. the 4000+ is a much more financially sound route

ya i knew you weren't knocking my case i just was wondering why you liked your case best. just trying to get the best components possible that's all .
tt cases [supposedly] look nice. but lian li cases are nice .

as for the drives and processor i wan't to get the best that i can afford, because you know
well go scsi :)

the thermaltake, it has more fan slots, and has more added extras, ie the lcd thermal display
1. if yer into modding, the fan display kinda um, sucks :p
2. fan slots can be added regardless and the lianli case is hands down superior for that kinda stuff

ok i'm confused, most things i've read say to use thermal paste on your processor. i went to the AMD website and they say to use a thermal pad for long time use and paste for short time use. which is it ?
AMD says to use the pad cuz people have a tendency to not do things properly and fry stuff.

also, when you buy a processor, does it come with a heatsink ?
depends if you buy it as a retail package or not

i was looking for the AMD Athlon 64 fx55 clawhammer/hammer 1ghz fsb 1mb cache socket 939 processor -retail, but the only thing they had was the same thing only the fsb was integrated into the chip .

what does that mean ? and is that the same thing as what i want ?
have a look at the cpu101 :)

ya, but i was thinking. the only difference between the fx55 and the 4000+ is 200mhz operating frequency. so is 200mhz, which i probably won't even notice, worth $300+ ?
fx55 is a better overclocker due to its development process as well as having an unlocked multiplier .

and what does that[fully unlocked processor] do ?
have a look at the OC 101.