computer crash and dead memory

pink.moetan

after a long night of the computer being on (8+ hours), i restarted my computer. when computer reboots i find myself at the desktop with my speakers at top volume and a loud garbled sound(ofc, not a single tone, total randomness, idk) i quickly turned my sound down and restart thinking that the sound card had an error because i recently installed an audio manipulation program. the computer commences restart and never gets there

keyboard is dead, monitor screen is blank(no signal)

my best guess is my computer is prompting me to "start windows normally"

so i do what ever normal computer person does, i take it apart and clean it

i put it all back together and the computer would not start... later i realized that the "memOK" light was on (where it should not be on) pushed the button to try to get it to work.... no success... moved sticks from a1/a2 to b1/b2, result was the same... took one stick out and wouldnt you know it starts, but computer tells me to repair or restore from restore point, i restore... no success... so now i'm stuck with one less stick of memory (2gb down from 4gb) and an OS that will not load, just at the starting windows glowing icon

i really dont want to re-do my OS, but i guess if there is nothing else that can be done then i'll have to do it

Mainly i do what to know why or how this happened

system is
Pentium i5 750
4gb memory(2x 2gb) corsair memory, not really in the book for compatibility, but has worked for over 3+ months, without even using "MemOK"
asus p7p55 LX MB
160 gb OS drive, 3 500gb HD (2 sata, 1 pata)
sony dvd burner diver(unsure what the model number is anyways its kinda dead, works as a reader sometimes but really no burning, hardly use anyways)
bfg 9800+ nVidia video card
dont remember the PS wattage but i'm sure its over 800 watts

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
If you boot and get no post, It's either memory, cpu or motherboard. I'd say it's memory as it most prone to failure, CPU's rarely die (except if you overvolting by extreme amounts) and motherboards can go sometimes.