computer died

michaelman25

ok so i was changing out the floppy drive on my computer but i accidently started to take the harddrive out but i plugged it back up and then i changed out the floppy well about 2 hours later i was on the computer and it just went dead and now it won't come on

but i was a old computer and when i opened it back up it was full of crud esspecialy arout the power supply and the fan

so i was wodering was it my fault or did crud do it?

what do i need to replace to fix it?

Kboy

make sure everything around your power supply, CPU, and motherboard is clean and plugged in. If you just disconnected the Hard Drive it would still boot up, because all it needs is a motherboard and Power supply to start up. It sounds like you may have disonnected something between the power supply and motherboard though. Check that everything is plugged in, including the connectors from the buttons on the front to the motherboard.

Yeti

VIP Member
Aside from it being a loose/disconnected wire I don't see how it could be your fault. If it worked for a bit and just shut off completely it could be the power supply. Try looking inside the case with power supply turned on to see if there's any power LEDs lit. Before that, though, I'd probably make sure all the cables are plugged in and secure in case thats the problem.

alvinc5

Re:

Hello,

If ure machine operated consitently prior to opening it up...it may have suffered from ESD or Electro Static Discharge. Did u use a ground mat or anti-static wrist strap? Did u come close or touch any metal circuitry inside your machine...and finally... are you u sure that the mains power was turned off when you disconnected / connected cables ???

michaelman25

well i got a new powersupply and it started up

but this morning it died again and this afternoon i took it to a tech and he had to replace the mother board

but on the upside it fixed alot of problems and i got a 3.2 gig processor along woth the motherboard so everything has worked out

except for the $200 bill for the parts and labor that the tech charged

michaelman25 said:
well i got a new powersupply and it started up

but this morning it died again and this afternoon i took it to a tech and he had to replace the mother board

but on the upside it fixed alot of problems and i got a 3.2 gig processor along woth the motherboard so everything has worked out

except for the $200 bill for the parts and labor that the tech charged

It was probably that you had to take out the battery for a minute then re-insert it. It should have turned on. Do you still have it?

Greg J.

VIP Member
It sounded like more than just electro static damage. Are you sure you didn't blow some capacitors in the power supply/motherboard and burst some electrolyte grease onto your parts also?