Computer Fans Running Loud but not overheating

mtb211

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with one of our computers running extremely loud... It sounds like a fan is blasting... I opened it up a few days ago and used compressed air on the machine just for daily maintenance. It is currently running at 24 C. I installed i8kfangui (fan controller for certain dells) and set the computer automatic fan controller and the noise stops.. but if I disable the software it roars again.... What the heck is the deal

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you by chance reinstall windows recently on it? It's very common for oem's to install software/driver that will reduce the speed of the fan. I think HP used to do this, especially in their laptops. Look on the driver support page for like processor driver or something similar.

mtb211

Did you by chance reinstall windows recently on it? It's very common for oem's to install software/driver that will reduce the speed of the fan. I think HP used to do this, especially in their laptops. Look on the driver support page for like processor driver or something similar.

Hey John, no I have not reinstalled Windows XP on this machine. Could it be a faulty sensor or something?

I will check Dells Website now

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a faulty censor as I don't think I've ever seen a dell with a temp that low.

mtb211

Didnt not see anything on there site for this... Updating the bios... seems a little risky... and doubt it would do anything

The machine is a Optiplex 360 running XP, we use it as a backup server for a really small company

karl_ranseier

I doubt that the fan sensors are broken if the fan controller software runs fine.
I had a similar problem with a pc once. There is a bios setting for that like bigfellla mentioned.

Kesava

I had a similar problem once, where the fans were running very fast and loud and yet the temps were normal.

I found that the best solution was to unplug the power cable for the fans. This made them totally silent and basically solved all my problems.

After some time I suffered a catastrophic hardware meltdown, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't related.

claptonman

You can oil the fans really easily. This might solve your problem.

First, get some 3-in-one regular home oil. On the fan, there's usually a sticker. Peel this back half way and you should see a round rubber stopper. Take that off, might have to use a screwdriver. Place one drop inside where the rubber stopper used to be, then replace the stopper and sticker.

This solved my fan problem on my old build where it sounded like a lawnmower.

Benny Boy

I had a similar problem once, where the fans were running very fast and loud and yet the temps were normal.

I found that the best solution was to unplug the power cable for the fans. This made them totally silent and basically solved all my problems.

After some time I suffered a catastrophic hardware meltdown, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't related.
Now that's funny, lmao.

cabinfever1977

maybe its time for another $50-100 computer as thats what you can get another one of these for, or replace the fans or board,but its cheaper to just get another computer as e-bay has hundreds of these and there almost giving them away.

mtb211

Thank you for all the responses!!! I have tried mostly everything everyone has said...

Enable Q fan in the bios I have not tried tho! thanks!

I will open it open again and try the oil if the Q option doesnt help.

Hope all had a good weekend