computer freezes constantly

Roy Rogers

AMD 2400, 512 RAM, 2.4 Gig maxtor HD, plexwriter CD-rw burner, Plextor DVD-RW burner, ASUS DVD rom player. Win XP prof with SP2. Every time I ask it to do more than simple tasks it freezes up. I try to run backup but it freezes, I try to burn a DVD and it freezes up, I ask it to scan for virus's, it freezes up..you get the idea. What are some of the reasons a computer freezes up and what are the usual solutions?

4W4K3

VIP Member
memory problems, overheating, corrupt HD or OS.

is this a laptop or a desktop?

If you can't even run a recovery or scan your computer for viruses, i'd just faltten it and re-install Windows. What it sounds like to me is a failing HDD or screwy OS.

When you say "freeze" do you mean a blue screen appears or it jsut stops responding all together and screen wont move? Blue screen is usually driver/hardware failure, and just frozen screen is usually an operating system/heat problem (from my experiences.)

answer those ?'s and i think i can help you out more.

XHotxEx791

Overheat, bad ram, dying harddrive, corrupted os, spyware, or virus. Yep, one of those, most likely hard drive. 2.4 gigabyte drive???

Roy Rogers

hd typo

Right on, Sorry about the typo. the HD is a new maxtor 240 Gig. Everyone seems to agree that heat is a likely cause so I'll add some extra fans inside.

lynx6200

Is this a custom built machine? Also, when your system is working, could you tell us the temp readings you get for your cpu, case, m/b, anything that is shown.

Lax

VIP Member
Yes, it could very well be ram. Get memtest86 and do a single pass of it (burn it to a CD or put it on a floppy). If it turns up ANY errors the ram is toast. It could also be the PSU. Check you voltages (in BIOS and see what they look like).

Roy Rogers

My computer is a tool, not a hoby. My project is completeing a legal case which includes making a composite from surveillance VHS tapes and putting these onto a DVD for easy viewing. I've been hampered consistantly by problems from my computer. I opened the cover to see if additional cooling would help the "freeze up" but it didn't seem to help. I've now ordered new memory but it'll be a while before that arrives and I'm running out of time. I need to eliminate background noise and "crank up" the intelligent sounds.Can anyone reccomend a service that can do this?