Computer freezes when in video editing program.

m_wags23

Everytime i open an editing program (Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, MovieShop, etc) the computer locks up completely. I can't ctrl+alt+del it cause everything is locked up. the only option i can do is hold down the power button until it is forced to shut off. In fact, it once froze when i was capturing video with my DV camera and it even froze my camera up. I just want a logical explanation and hopefully a way to solve. Is there something wrong with the graphics card, video card.....or wutever. If you guys cant me an answer tell me any good sites that might be able to give me an explanation for this. Thanks a bundle:) .

super_xero

it might be your system on my old pc i use to Try to do video editing and it used to freze i had to upgrade my ram and i upgraded my cpu and it was much faster

m_wags23

no it shouldnt be that....this computer is a brand new compaq presario with fire wire....its not a bad computer at all. the only reason i use it to edit is because its the only one with a firewire port on it.

cell4me

banned
List the specks on you computer! Just because it's new does not mean that it is capable of video editing, tell us your cpu speed and how much memory you have and what kind of video card your pc has!

computerhakk

VIP Member
cell4me said:
List the specks on you computer! Just because it's new does not mean that it is capable of video editing, tell us your cpu speed and how much memory you have and what kind of video card your pc has!
yes. and it can also be compatibility issues also along the lines of the softwares and maybe what u have running while your using it.

m_wags23

k, im not much of a computer guy.......so ill try my best here thats y i came here for help.

1. OS - Windows XP Professional
2. Total Physical Memory(?) - 512.00MB
3. Available Physical Memory(?) - 82.66MB
4. Total Virtual Memory(?) - 2.00GB
5. Available Virtual Memory (?) - 1.96GB
6. Dual x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 Genuine Intel ~3200Mhz
7. Compaq Presario R3000

tell me if you guys need to know anymore stuff about it. again if i sound stupid i am.....just let me know.

cell4me

banned
You are shy on the ram for video editing, you should have at least a gig, that might be why it is freezing video editing takes lots of memory, another thing is you are trying to do this on a laptop and my guess is you dont have that great of a video card in it, another thing needed for video editing!

Good news is though ram is pretty cheap now days, check and see if you can install more and get at least a gig and it might work!

Last edited:

m_wags23

ok thx......but its not like im making feature length films and using all the high end software.....its just a hobby so thanks for everything, if nebody else has anymore info you can go ahead and leave some.