Computer freezes

mailliw

Compaq Presario 5441
Processor AMD-K6 at 475MHz
Memory 64Megabytes
Hard drive 7.851 GB
Microsoft Windows 98.4.10.2222A
Age; OLD(probably 6 years or better)?

I have probably been asking the wrong questions. I got this computer a few months back, no manuals, no disk, just bare computer. Problem; It freezes, when I try to use scan-disk, defrag and other windows 98 programs . When I leave it on and come back later it has tried to defrag and froze. I have installed several games(text twist, MahJongg, cards) and they work OK, unless it decides to defrag, and freezes. I have been told I need to use a Compaq recover CD or DVD and restore it to original status. I haven't been able to find a Recovery CD. I would appreciate any and all input on what I might do to fix this. If I need any softwear, where can I find it.
Hope someone or someones can help; Thanks; mailliw

ckfordy

banned
mailliw said:
Compaq Presario 5441
Processor AMD-K6 at 475MHz
Memory 64Megabytes
Hard drive 7.851 GB
Microsoft Windows 98.4.10.2222A
Age; OLD(probably 6 years or better)?

I have probably been asking the wrong questions. I got this computer a few months back, no manuals, no disk, just bare computer. Problem; It freezes, when I try to use scan-disk, defrag and other windows 98 programs . When I leave it on and come back later it has tried to defrag and froze. I have installed several games(text twist, MahJongg, cards) and they work OK, unless it decides to defrag, and freezes. I have been told I need to use a Compaq recover CD or DVD and restore it to original status. I haven't been able to find a Recovery CD. I would appreciate any and all input on what I might do to fix this. If I need any softwear, where can I find it.
Hope someone or someones can help; Thanks; mailliw

go to www.ebay.com and see if they have a windows 98 disc to completly reinstall it or see if they have the compaq recover cd out there

mailliw

I don't know if I should do a complete recovery, redo Windows 98, install a newer Windows version, or if trere is something else I could try first. If someone has had similar problems I would like to know how the fixed them.
Thamks mailliw

mrjack

VIP Member
Well, there is basically no use trying to get newer Windows versions install because of the lack of memory on your comp. And I used to have 98SE and it was pretty stable. But if you don't play a lot of games I would suggest getting one of the several (over 300) Linux distributions. They are stable and they don't require alot from on the hardware side.