computer freezes

comp

My computer freezes with no message even during reboosting. It still freezes during recovering the system and still does even after I replaced the hard drive. It is now bogging down and can freeze any time. What's wrong with it?

jbob

If it doesn't even complete POST, sounds like motherboard or memory issue. To troubleshoot memory very basically, and assuming you have more than one stick in the machine, remove the memory sticks and swap them (slot 0 stick to slot 1 and so on). Make sure they're seated tightly and click into place. Some folks are surprised by how much pressure you need to apply to seat a memory stick properly. Don't be afraid to manhandle it a bit. If you line it up right you won't break anything. Even with only one stick, just remove it and reseat it. If it still freezes up after reboot, it may be the motherboard and/or bad memory. While the box is open, check for obvious problem like loose power supply/ide connectors. And if its full of 5 years worth of dust, at the very least blow it out with a can or two of compressed air. At my shop I use a high power compressor to really clean the inards.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
definitely RAM problem, i had same problem on the system posted below. Changed RAM and now is perfect......

you might just need to clear the cmos, just unplug it and the set the clear cmos jumper and rip the battery out for 10 secs and then put it back in and boot it up, but im not sure, thats what happens to mine when i set the fsb to high it reboots and then it wont even let me get into bios