Computer Freezing may be VPU problem

TrogdorTB001

*sigh*, i might as well just give up. i have no clue how to turn onboard video on, cause i cant see anything on the screen to even get into the bios.

im franky pissed off, cause i just keep running into problem after problem. its my first computer, so i understand that its gonna happen, but it just never ends.

actually, when i got the monitor, there was one very noticeable dead pixel on the screen, although it was like a blue pixel, so it was super-noticeable. maybe the monitor is just deteriorating, and after sitting for a week, just decided not to work. i might be able to use my warranty to get a new one, due to the fact that there is a dead pixel.

PC eye

banned
If you can get the monitor replaced under warranty you would be in the clear and hopefully that will be the problem. But you also tried a separate monitor known to working on it and saw no results there. You also replaced the video card to see no results. One idea here is to start looking at other possible causes like a dead board or a cpu that finally went. A board fault would be far more likely since your cpu was working when you saw freezeups.

SirKenin

banned
As usual, don't listen to Mr. Google. He hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. If you tested more than one monitor, and none of them work, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the monitor isn't the problem.

Ok. So.

Your computer isn't booting. That's all there is to it. You have to figure out why it isn't booting. Several things could cause that.

A memory problem
A CPU problem
A PSU problem
A BIOS problem
If your computer is old enough and the CMOS battery is dead, it will lose the settings and not boot up. Everything will be messed up.

That is where you start diagnosing. You don't need to go sending your monitor back. That's insane. :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
What Mr. mouth fails to realize is that the following items were already posted before butting in without reading through the thread.

1) bad monitor yet substitute tried
2) bad video card replaced second bad card?
3) bad power supply
4) bad cpu?
5) onboard video disabled?
6) battery on board? losing bios programming?
7) bad bios?

SirKenin

banned
Sorry, I skipped your post. You're welcome. Besides PC Eye... If I reinforced what you're saying you should be happy, not being a jerk.. Especially since your credibility hasn't exactly proven to be the best. For instance. Why the HELL would you tell him to send back a perfectly good monitor? Did you find that on Google?

Incidentally Trogdor, did you try the power cord on the monitor? They don't usually screw up, but you never know. Also, to enable onboard video all you need to do is remove the VGA card. That will cause the machine to automatically revert to onboard (I found that on Altavista.. Let's have a search engine war. :p)

Last edited:

TrogdorTB001

gulp.. like i said before *fight breaks out*

lol just kiddin, i will try those options tomorrow after i get home from school. thanks guys... dont be surprised if its not the problem.

SirKenin

banned
gulp.. like i said before *fight breaks out*

lol just kiddin, i will try those options tomorrow after i get home from school. thanks guys... dont be surprised if its not the problem.

I won't be. It says on Google that the most likely cause is mice eating your custom built 3 device IDE cable from an IBM. Maybe you should just replace the whole computer. :p

PC eye

banned
I won't be. It says on Google that the most likely cause is mice eating your custom built 3 device IDE cable from an IBM. Maybe you should just replace the whole computer. :p

Not only are you way off subject you are way the hhhhhhhh off of the thread where a "non custom made 3 device cable" was discussed. Oh I get it you think it takes three cables to run one SCSI drive. :p Gee? Does Google also tell "you" to change a video card when the bios is seeing problems? :p ! :p ! :p !

PC eye

banned
You have already replaced enough parts for a new build except the board itself and the cpu which you can save. Since this was a new build see if you can swap the board in if it is still under a 30 day dealer warranty.

You also mentioned a slight problem with the monitor having a dead pixel. It's a nuisance but why not get both replaced. It seems you probably received a bad board and it simply gave out too fast. You're running out of time if the warranty is still good.

TrogdorTB001

well theres another problem.

I was way too hyped up to start building a computer, and i used my only money to get a case and mobo. i then waited, with my mobo inside the case, for about 6 months(im serious), and got the rest of the parts(the rest of the parts were spaced out by a couple months too.

I think my warranty has expired. and if it was a bad mobo, wouldnt the cpu and ram not work?

PC eye

banned
That puts you in a tight spot there with the board. If the bios simply went the cpu and memory would still be good for another board. You already have everything else but the board if it did go on you. On the last few tries did you see the lights on the drives come on at all?

If the board didn't fail the one other hardware that would completely stop a board in it's tracks would be the cpu itself. But you didn't have running long enough apparently to overheat that. You may want to recheck all connections inside the case to make sure the plugs for the power switch didn't lift off of the pins. Also take a look at the 4wire yellow/black wired plug that goes in near the cpu socket. If that was pulled out the system will fail to run with the 12v feed there.

SirKenin

banned
Hai yeah. You're right. I dunno. Wierd.

Anyways, what have you tried so far? Give me a complete list and I'll do my best.

TrogdorTB001

ok, well today i switched video cards with my friend, to see if his computer/monitor worked with it, and it worked. so i now know that the video card isnt my problem.(i put his video card into my computer, and it didnt work.

the problem isnt my monitor either, cause it worked with his computer.

the monitor or video card isnt my problem, so im now leaning towards the motherboard. i bought the motherboard at the beginning of the year, and it just sat for about 6-7 months without the other parts.

one problem is, is that if i buy a new mobo, i have to buy new RAM, because the mobo i have supports DDR1, and a new mobo would support DDR2.

SirKenin

banned
Hmm. I'm hesitant to suggest motherboard, that's for sure. That is always my last resort. Have you tried the other things I mentioned? Swapping RAM and stuff like that?

TrogdorTB001

actually i havent tried swapping anything with my friend other than monitor and video card. he left, so i dont really have a chance to swap ram with him.

SirKenin

banned
Well, try the cheapest and easiest options first.. On a previous page I left you a list. Go through those and if you rule them all out then all that is left is the mobo. :(