Computer hardware failure...

Jargs

Hi,

So I recently installed a new graphics card into my computer (ATI 5830), and at first everything was going smoothly (low card temperatures etc). However, today my computer completely deaded out. The LED light on the motherboard does not turn on any more to indicate that there is power. I am using a corsair modular 520 watt power supply.

My computer has had a history of blacking out, but in the past it would always just restart. I fixed the old issue which I found was that my graphics card was overheating due to a large amount of dust gathering in the fan (this was with my old graphics card, the ATI 4850).

The new graphics card requires two power inputs compared to the old card which only required one.

What I am wondering now is, which component of my system has died... the motherboard or the power supply? Is there any way to find out other than buying a new power supply?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, borrow a psu from someone to test. Unless you buy a psu tester, they really come in handy at times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003

If you have the hx520, it should be good enough to power your rig and the vid card. My only concern is that it has 3 independent 18 amp 12 volt rails as the gpu requires a psu with at least 30 amps on the 12 volt rail.