Computer Keeps Switching Off!

zippy

Hi people

Ive recently assembled a kick ass FX-55 pc with an Asus A8N-SLI mobo, x800xt graphics card etc. but the problem with it is that it randomly just turns off when im not using it. Its like somebody unplugged it from the mains socket! I dont know if it has anything to do with my PSU but it should be Ok since its a tagan 480W. If anyone has any help please tell me!

Thank you

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
You might wanna try running the PSU in another system to see if there is a faulty with it. Also, you might wanna check the power saving options that you have set in your bios, some components such as the graphics card might not like some of the settings

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know if it has anything to do with my PSU but it should be Ok since its a tagan 480W. If anyone has any help please tell me!
1. Model?
2. Are the rails stressed out unnecewsarily?

zippy

The Model is TG-480-U01

No theyre not stressed out and the PSU works fine with other PCs. Ive messed around with the BIOS power settings but still nothing.

Apparently I could be something to do with my keyboard somebody told me. I have a Logitech cordless keyboard and "cordless click plus!" mouse package.

Thanks for your help

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm other than power saving features from Windows or BIOS.... do you have the keyboard connected via PS2 or USB? :)

zippy

Its connected via USB but because its one of those wireless packages it comes with a PS2 mouse connector aswell and im not sure whether to connect both or one of them or whatever. Ill have to try another keyboard via PS2 and see if the problem is still there.

HOWEVER, now i also have a new problem! my pc wont recognise my hard drives when i turn it off. It wont let me even boot now. So what i do is i reset the mobo and then it works fine...until i switch it off agen, which is when it forgets that i have HDDs. please help!

thanks

zippy

Greg J.

VIP Member
So, you've already tried adjusting power behavior in Windows power manager?

And it is NOT the BIOS that is conflicting with Windows?
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-044

The motherboard is fairly new, but MAYBE the CMOS battery is faulty. Perhaps you need to get a new battery, or adjust some mobo jumpers (even though this speculation has an extremely low probability). Or, what about a BIOS update....?

The last fix I can think of is registry tweaking (besides correct electrical prevention (motherboard not touching metal) and proper grounding).

Last edited: