computer problem - blue screen of death (the file system check)

samoorai88

Problem started when I started deleting stuff off my computer to free space. My computer froze and I restarted it. Then, this BLUE SCREEN showed up...

I use Microsoft windows xp

checking file system on c:
The type of the file system is NTFS

A disk check has been scheduled.
To skip disk checking, press any key within (10) seconds

When I press "any key" nothing happens, and after 10 seconds, the disk check starts.
The check has 5 stages. It usually goes through 3 stages perfectly. Then, on the Fourth stage, it usually just stops around 24% and reboots.
Right before it reboots, I notice that for a flash of a second a different blue screen appears, then it goes black for another second, and then it reboots.
This has been happening for a few days now.

I don't know what to do.

-I tried pressing F8 and start windows in safe mode but the blue screen still shows up (and reboots).
-I tried booting the computer through the bios setup utility but I don't really know what I'm doing there and don't want to mess up my computer even more.

**Yesterday, after leaving my computer on for many hours, my computer was on the "Welcome screen" and it WAS working. I was very happy. I guess it must have finally finished the checkup. When I finished using it I turned it off. Today I turn it back on and the Blue Screen is back. And it keeps rebooting in the Fourth stage.

Also, why does the system check not skip when I press a key within the first 10 seconds?

Help please
Thanx

Last edited:

J_D

hmm. Interesting problem. Regarding you not being able to skip the disc check. Are you using a wired keyboard? from personal experience I have had to use a wired keyboard to be able to give inputs before the OS is loaded, simply because the computer doesn't know how to talk to a wireless one with out its instruction set loaded. If your using a USB keyboard then i might suggest trying a PS2 one. other than that I don't know why you can't skip the disc check.

If I'm right, what we need to do is get windows loaded and turn off automatic restarts on errors {i.e BSOD} so that we can actually read the error information.

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you press F8 instead of picking Safe Mode use Last know good configuration and see what happens. As a last resort you could just do a repair install.

samoorai88

O WOW...

I turned on my computer and immediately it went to the F8 screen without me pressing it. I than clicked on last known good configuration. The blue screen appeared. I clicked to try and skip the check and it Worked! Miracle. Thanx guys. Let's hope it stays that way.

wizle

Save whatever you want to keep and do a repair or a clean install... works for me

good luck