Computer Problem...

davida50000

Ok, this is a pretty old computer, been upgraded a little but i think it was purchased in 2002. Its still a pretty good little machine, running XP, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 2 HDD adding to about 500GB, thats really the only upgrading ive done, its used more as a backup for files than anything else.

I went to boot it today, like i would any other time, and it told me to insert a bootable disk or select another bootable device, so i went into the BIOS to check the boot order and for some reason the only boot option available is Floppy Disk Drive, which is what it is trying to boot from, ive never used the Floppy Disk, EVER, but every other thing has just disapeard from the list....

Unplugged the Floppy disk to see if that did anything, but it is still displaying on the bootable list as the only thing to boot from, no idea what is going on here.

Anyone got any sugestions on what i can do?

This was rather a quick post so if there is any other information needed please just let me know.

Thanks.

David.

TFT

VIP Member
As its an oldish computer, maybe the BIOS battery has failed and defaulted to a floppy disc boot.
Is the date/time showing correct ?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you reset the bios?...i think its F6,Then press F10 to save changes...then look back in the bios to see if your hard drive re-appears in the boot menu.

If it doesnt,check inside the machine to see if the cable from the hard drive has come loose.
if it has not,maybe its the motherboards battery has died,Its a little watch battery on the motherboard and easily replacable.

Try the first steps i mentioned first though :)

EDIT:Beat me to it ^

davida50000

The Date is incorrect by just under 1 month, and the time is incorrect by 1 hour.

All cables are in correctly and should be working perfectly.

Still think it could be the battery?

Thanks for the replies.

David.

TFT

VIP Member
Definitely the battery, the BIOS has lost your hard disc information and is default booting. A new battery will cure it.

davida50000

Thanks :D It worked, i had a spare motherboard, the battery looked the same so i used the battery from that, works perfect now :D

Thank you.

David.

Last edited: